Upholstery is hard.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm ready to spit nails and thought I'd share some life advice. Get ready...here it is.

If you can afford to, have a professional do all of your upholstery. It's worth it. Yes, no matter what.

There, take that to the bank. You've been warned. The $500-$1000 you save will only be pulled from your soul and exacerbate your heart condition.

You might, just like me, think that "the kids are gone this weekend, I'm home alone. Why not upholster my boat seats/classic car seats/favorite lazy boy?" Don't. After two days of cutting, seam ripping, staple pulling, and learning what a sewing machine is, then how to use them you'll end up getting frustrated and angry, too close to needles to drink and too close to hammers to get really frustrated. Bacon does help, some. Steak too, if you've got any handy.

It takes so much attention to detail and flat out skill to go from here to here....

(internet photo)

...that you'll probably end up tearing up $150 in mistakes and your entire aorta before getting a finished product. Notice I didn't say good product. Just finished enough that you can accept your failure, mistakes, and bad decisions in life and move on. I'm procrastinating to write this because my headrest-to-seat back stitching looks like a fat cat under a truck tire. I'll be ripping it out again, hoping to save the vinyl. Now I'll get back to it. I hope I saved a few lives with these words. Save yourself, gentlemen.. There's no hope for me.

Looks Great!

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I own 4 sewing machines. A couple of old Singers, one a heavy industrial shoe patch machine made in 1944, the other a 1956 "domestic" portable, model 99K.
My Modern machines are a heavy duty walking foot/zig zag portable and an industrial walking foot machine
I do marine canvas and sail work as well as a little bit of upholstery work.
Boat covers? The guy that made mine 25 years ago is long gone, may need a replacement soon.

Latest posts

Top Bottom