Upholstery is hard.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You know I often think I should have apprenticed more at different places when I was in my teens. Of course in my teens I was busy chasing trouble, but had I any sense I would have chased an electrician, a plumber, an upholsterer, a sheet-rocker, an auto mechanic, and a carpenter. I'm fairly proficient in several of those at this stage of life (often through trial and error) but some serious training for a year in each would have been helpful .

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got the covers and foam for my convertible in the office as we speak. Still waiting to find the time to get started, but got so many irons in the fire. I've been looking forward to it, but probably won't be once I get started.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
You know I often think I should have apprenticed more at different places when I was in my teens. Of course in my teens I was busy chasing trouble, but had I any sense I would have chased an electrician, a plumber, an upholsterer, a sheet-rocker, an auto mechanic, and a carpenter. I'm fairly proficient in several of those at this stage of life (often through trial and error) but some serious training for a year in each would have been helpful .
When I lived in Kansas, I had a mechanic, plumber and electrician for neighbors. These guys became good friends and taught me a bunch of things. I was good at hard labor and concrete.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Went through this topic with a friend earlier this year, told him to check around the local community colleges or vo-tech for a class in upholstery. Never heard back on that, now I'm curious what he ever did.

You guys are right, it's best to learn as many different trades as you reasonable can, don't need to be an expert but just know the basics of many things.

I greatly admire that, and wish todays young kids would do that. I reckon most don't want to get their hands dirty or get away from the video games and such.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Went through this topic with a friend earlier this year, told him to check around the local community colleges or vo-tech for a class in upholstery. Never heard back on that, now I'm curious what he ever did.

You guys are right, it's best to learn as many different trades as you reasonable can, don't need to be an expert but just know the basics of many things.

I greatly admire that, and wish todays young kids would do that. I reckon most don't want to get their hands dirty or get away from the video games and such.
MetroTech does an evening upholstery class on the South Bryant campus that stays full with students returning to do new projects on the school equipment.

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This was bad enough for me!
IMG_0788.JPG

IMG_0789.JPG

IMG_0791.JPG
IMG_0790.JPG

The poor Singer sewing machine my late mother gave me was protesting the whole way through 4 layers of marine vinyl! I'm really surprised the HD needle made it till the end of the project with each *thunk* *thunk* *thunk* of each stitch.
Never again!

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can barely put a seat cover on. Good advice.
When I was fourteen with working papers I got a job with a company called Rayco Auto Seat Covers. Over a period of months I learned to use the sewing machine. About a year later I was sewing custom seat covers and putting them on seat frames using Hog Ring Pliers. I learned a lot but never made a convertible top by myself. Got transferred to another shop that became too expensive to drive to every day. Next up a friend and I started a automotive rebuild and restoring business which petered out when I went in the military. Sure was fun though.

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 310495
View attachment 310497
View attachment 310498View attachment 310499
The poor Singer sewing machine my late mother gave me was protesting the whole way through 4 layers of marine vinyl! I'm really surprised the HD needle made it till the end of the project with each *thunk* *thunk* *thunk* of each stitch.
Never again!
View attachment 310495
View attachment 310497
View attachment 310498View attachment 310499
Never again!
Looks great though and one tough sewing machine!

Latest posts

Top Bottom