US captures key militant in Benghazi attack

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
American special operations forces captured a militant Sunday who was allegedly involved in the attack on a U.S. diplomatic compound and CIA annex in Benghazi, Libya, two US officials confirmed to Fox News.

US officials identified the suspect as Mustafa al-Imam.

The attack resulted in the death of the American ambassador and three other Americans.

The White House is expected to release more details shortly.

The officials say U.S. commandos captured al-Imam in Libya and are transporting him back to Washington, D.C., where he will be charged in federal court. The officials say the mission was approved by President Trump and carried out in coordination with Libya’s internationally recognized government.

The Associated Press first reported the capture.

The September 11, 2012 attack killed Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans: Sean Smith, an information management officer with the U.S. Foreign Service, and two former Navy SEALs, Glen Doherty and Tyrone S. Woods.

Earlier this month, the trial of Ahmed Abu Khattala began, the alleged mastermind of the 2012 attacks. It’s not clear if the suspect detailed by US special operations forces is one of Khattala’s lieutenants.

Khatallah had been awaiting trail since 2014, when US Army commandos and FBI agents captured him in Benghazi and put him on a Navy ship for detention in an American prison inside the United States.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He should be housed at Guantanamo. When he gets to the states, he lawyers up and has a whole new set of rules to go by.
A). SCOTUS imposed a lot of protections even at Gitmo.
B). He's still an American citizen and a serviceman. Leavenworth for him. It won't be a picnic for him there, either.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A). SCOTUS imposed a lot of protections even at Gitmo.
B). He's still an American citizen and a serviceman. Leavenworth for him. It won't be a picnic for him there, either.
Are you on the right thread?
This one is about a militant involved in Benghazi. They don't have Miranda Rights at Gitmo if I remember right.
I was stationed at Leavenworth. Your correct, the Military Prison is not like civilian prisons. Its not a cake walk, but that is a different story.

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sometimes I think the prohibition on cruel and unusual punishment is outdated when it comes to dealing with terrorists.

I hear acid is a good execution tool.

Latest posts

Top Bottom