USGI 1911's, 1911A1's, M45A1's...let's see them.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hooks, cept the K Bar

Thanks Ray.

Did you happen to see many M3 or M7 shoulder holsters in use? If so, who primarily used them at that time? I picked up a fairly nice wide strap Boyt M3 off of eBay for cheap since the discription wasn't accurate and it's been dyed black for use post-war WWII.

0Yop7DJh.jpg

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I believe that is a Tankers shoulder holster. I think Pilot's used them also. On the other hand, this is waaaaaaaaay before my time and I could be wrong.lol

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe that is a Tankers shoulder holster. I think Pilot's used them also. On the other hand, this is waaaaaaaaay before my time and I could be wrong.lol

The M3 was specifically designed for aircraft and tank crews, but you see photos of them in use outside of those areas. I've seen several photos of airborne units using them and it's said that they were supposedly popular among officers.

I mainly asked as I was interested if Ray ran across many in use during the mid-to-late 60's and if it was mainly aircrews using them at that time. Most of the photos that you see of the M3 / M7 in use by infantry or airborne divisions were taken in the 40's and 50's. I've seen a few Vietnam era photos, but not many.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Think it is a Tankers/Cavalry Officers rig. I wore one in 2003-2004 in Iraq. Believe the Marines called it an M7.

Thanks David. My holster in the photo above is an M3, the M7 was developed in 1944 and was produced into the 1990's. The M7 has an additional chest strap that was added for stability.

As mentioned in my last post, I'm aware of what the holster is. I was just interested in whether or not Lasher had seen many in use in VN and who was using them at that time. I've seen a couple photos of advisors and airborne units using them, but that's pretty much it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom