Using 10 W 30 for oiling handguns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Going to try using Pen 5 W 30 synthetic to oil the friction points on my semi auto pistols. No particular reason, but it seems it would do a very good job on the contact points of the slide/etc.
What do you think? Has anyone tried this?
Not sure this would have any negative results.
Comment please

264killer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Been using motor oil on my guns for 60 years inside & out never any rust on a gun. If a gun was long time not to be used would dip a bore brush in Quaker motor oil & run it down the bore. If you are going to shoot one with oil in the bore you need to dry it out

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use Mobil 1 oils and grease to lube and protect all of my firearms...no problems here. I'm still using the same quart of oil and tub of grease that I purchased 5+ years ago so there is a significant cost savings versus using typical "gun" lubes. I especially like their red synthetic grease as it is easy to apply, stays in place, and is very visible due to the color.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It will work just fine. IMO, it doesn't really matter what you use to lube then up with as much as that you use something. My only real thought here is to keep it light, so as not to impede the movement of the slide with heavy oil or thick grease.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It will work just fine. IMO, it doesn't really matter what you use to lube then up with as much as that you use something. My only real thought here is to keep it light, so as not to impede the movement of the slide with heavy oil or thick grease.

That's the beauty of synthetics. They don't thicken in cold temps like Dino oil. But your right, keep something on it no matter what it is.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always find it interesting when people mention how well automotive products work for firearms and sometimes wonder how many have compared the MSDS for the automotive products to the MSDS for lubricants intended for the purpose.

At the minimum most shooters will have skin contact and inhalation of vapors as well as potential eye contact and ingestion when firing.

That said, I do use some pretty nasty concoctions for cleaning and lubrication but for general lubrication use I tend to stick with products intended for firearms.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use the bottom drippings of the quart jugs of 5-50 aeroshell after oil changes for genereral lube. Similar properties, and has the anti-rust stuff for inside aircraft engines that sit outside long periods of time without being started. I use a little of the T-3 grease on the slides.

Latest posts

Top Bottom