Using 10 W 30 for oiling handguns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Several mentioned the Mobil one, I wonder why it would be better than a synthetic like Penn? The reason I want to try it, motor oil works in extreme temps and wear. It also seems to absorb (maybe just me) into metal. I don't worry a bit about shooting a gun with motor oil because of toxic fumes. If that was true, no mechanic would be alive today.
Most gun oils and grease break down at some point (tem/friction).
Motor oil is time tested on moving parts.
Lastly, I think motor oil would double as a oil and a grease.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just finished cleaning my CZ and 1911 thoroughly!. Used Clp because I was doing it inside and Ballistol makes my wife and dog mad.
Once I had cleaned I use the Penn 10/30 (what I had in the garage) to lube the friction areas of both guns.
Will put a couple hundred rounds through both before I clean them again to see how the motor oil holds up.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The fact is that pretty much anything will work - what's "best" is in the eye of the beholder.
UDL_Lube copy.png

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 63452
This stuff is pretty good. Got this at my John Deere dealers years ago. Lasts a long time. Easy to access.
I've got a dozen of those. Lots of vendors handed them out. Most of mine have a 1" needle on them for access to small areas. Didn't really know what type of oil is in them, so I dump them and refill with Mobile 1.
There are certainly differences in how different types of oils perform.
uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20161219_f84cd122103ca3861b3ce2f8201abf71.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom