Using 10 W 30 for oiling handguns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Take that with a huge grain of salt. That test to be done properly has a small container of the lubricant being tested under the abrasive wheel to where the wheel is running in it submerged and the arm can be manipulated to get the result you want. Here's an example:

Yeah, they can be manipulated, for sure. Fortunately, I've replicated some the Weapon Shield comparisons on the fancy controlled machines at UT, and for the most part get similar results.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Take that with a huge grain of salt. That test to be done properly has a small container of the lubricant being tested under the abrasive wheel to where the wheel is running in it submerged and the arm can be manipulated to get the result you want. Here's an example:

I'm going to use Head and Shoulders on my guns!
Interesting video

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, none of those I've seen are truly scientific yet. You would have to run multiple tests, a control, and new wear parts each time. Also, the amount of run time is important.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, none of those I've seen are truly scientific yet. You would have to run multiple tests, a control, and new wear parts each time. Also, the amount of run time is important.
There is a methodological way to do them, including using the methods you list. I'd welcome any evidence showing any of the other lubes perform better than Weapon Shield (at lubricating). Some of the others may well be "good enough" in regard to firearms, but I haven't found one that holds up in controlled tests as well as Weapon Shield. Actually, a professor at UT has developed one that'll beat them all, but isn't publicly available yet.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
There is a methodological way to do them, including using the methods you list. I'd welcome any evidence showing any of the other lubes perform better than Weapon Shield (at lubricating). Some of the others may well be "good enough" in regard to firearms, but I haven't found one that holds up in controlled tests as well as Weapon Shield. Actually, a professor at UT has developed one that'll beat them all, but isn't publicly available yet.

Not making an argument one way or the other, just that the youtube vids I've seen aren't scientific.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

For the record I wasn't bashing on WS. Just pointing out that the test is highly variable.

I have no data but an acquaintance of mine does forensics failure analysis and has full access to a lab (his own). He has the degrees with the fancy letters after his name and all that jazz and he does have training in tribology too. He's tested just about everything out there. He uses Lucas Extreme in his own guns, if that tells you anything. I have several lifetimes supply of my own synthetic brew on hand so that's generally my goto lube. I use froglube paste for corrosion protection as I've tested it myself and it works good for that without being oily but that's about all it's good for. Otherwise I'd use the LE too.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For the record I wasn't bashing on WS. Just pointing out that the test is highly variable.

I have no data but an acquaintance of mine does forensics failure analysis and has full access to a lab (his own). He has the degrees with the fancy letters after his name and all that jazz and he does have training in tribology too. He's tested just about everything out there. He uses Lucas Extreme in his own guns, if that tells you anything. I have several lifetimes supply of my own synthetic brew on hand so that's generally my goto lube. I use froglube paste for corrosion protection as I've tested it myself and it works good for that without being oily but that's about all it's good for. Otherwise I'd use the LE too.
Yeah, the LE performed well for me too. Froglube, not so well (for lubrication).

Latest posts

Top Bottom