USMCA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hadnt heard this yet but Nancy has a single brain cell left I think.

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/11/14/nancy-pelosi-usmca-trade-deal-imminent-070909
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi indicated on Thursday that a deal between House lawmakers and the Trump administration on the USMCA could be announced within the coming days.

“I do believe that if we can get this to the place it needs to be — which is imminent — that this can be a template for future trade agreements,” Pelosi told reporters during a weekly press briefing. “A good template.”

2020 ELECTIONS

'One of the hardest decisions of my life': Kamala Harris ends once-promising campaign

CONGRESS

'I'm not going to take any sh--': Nadler girds for battle

CONGRESS

Nunes’ role exposed and 8 more takeaways from the Intel report

LEGAL

Lobbyist known for Trump ties charged with steering illegal contributions to Clinton

2020 ELECTIONS

The spectacular collapse of Kamala Harris

Both the Senate Finance and House Ways and Means Committees then plan to hold "mock mark-up" hearings — providing an opportunity for lawmakers to give feedback on the deal — before formal votes take place.

Pelosi appeared to recognize the ticking clock, saying Thursday that lawmakers will need to see a copy of the implementing legislation "as soon as we come to a conclusion" with Lighthizer.

She added that Democrats already "have an idea" of what the implementing bill will look like, which leaves the door open to the House potentially getting the agreement done this year. "That would be my goal," she said.

If the House passes the deal, the legislation is expected to sail through the Republican-led Senate.

Of House Democrats' four major concerns with the deal, the two areas that have proved the hardest to resolve are issues with labor provisions and enforcement of the overall deal. Pelosi underscored her focus on enforcement in particular but said the two sides “are moving positively.”

But it remains to be seen whether labor unions like AFL-CIO will support the deal or opt to publicly oppose it. Democrats have long acknowledged that it's important that unions not be vocal opponents of the pact. People close to the negotiations have indicated that the goal is to ensure the unions at least say neutral.

Asked whether he believed support for USMCA from the labor movement was in reach, Neal said: "I do and we need it."

"I think we would all agree that right now the proposal we have in front of us is substantially better than NAFTA that’s 25 years old. Whether or not it's enough, we’ll have to figure that out," Neal said.

Pelosi also struck an optimistic tone when asked how organized labor groups like the AFL-CIO might respond to the negotiated fixes. She noted simply how Democrats and labor have "shared values."

“We’re in a good place,” she said.

Legend

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Background of second picture pretty much sums up how I feel about this circus.
whatever.JPG

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What’s going to happen with the bill is that the house will add riders and amendments to it like banning MSR’s, folding stocks, ammo restrictions, mag restrictions, etc.
The house will pass it with the dimocrat majority and send it to the senate.
The senate won’t pass it because of the riders and amendments so Nancy will ride a white steed around the congress saying the Republicans are blocking meaningful legislation like this important trade deal.
Meanwhile the country stays quagmired by the do nothing Congress.

Latest posts

Top Bottom