USPS Rant

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
So if an employee left the Post Office and got hired at Tinker, would it raise the productivity level at both places?
Ha Ha.
Hard to say without knowing the employee but they could definitely take more naps at work.

leemozoid

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I worked in the Yukon post office. 2 weeks and I left. My experience is based off the RCA academy and working there. Dumbest job I have ever had.
Two whole weeks? Impressive career. Yukon's mail is run by a husband/wife team who are the happiest and most productive 30+ year vets you'd ever meet.

Pstmstr

Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Two whole weeks? Impressive career. Yukon's mail is run by a husband/wife team who are the happiest and most productive 30+ year vets you'd ever meet.
A lot of people can’t hack being an RCA including a lot of the negative posters on this forum. Everyone thinks it’s easy……until they actually do it. To everyone who doesn’t know what it is. A rural carrier associate works on a rural route when a regular carrier is off. No guaranteed hours and you almost always work weekends and other times when a regular carrier wants off. You often carry a route you’ve only been on once or twice and you pull up to Joe Blow’s mailbox that often does not even have their address on it so you have to guess who’s mail goes in it. Eventually, you accrue enough seniority when a regular carrier dies or retires to get your own route. They are almost constantly hiring for these positions since so many people can’t hack it. Last time I checked pay was near $20 per hour plus equipment maintenance allowance. Some of you guys need to give it a go. 😂

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A lot of people can’t hack being an RCA including a lot of the negative posters on this forum. Everyone thinks it’s easy……until they actually do it. To everyone who doesn’t know what it is. A rural carrier associate works on a rural route when a regular carrier is off. No guaranteed hours and you almost always work weekends and other times when a regular carrier wants off. You often carry a route you’ve only been on once or twice and you pull up to Joe Blow’s mailbox that often does not even have their address on it so you have to guess who’s mail goes in it. Eventually, you accrue enough seniority when a regular carrier dies or retires to get your own route. They are almost constantly hiring for these positions since so many people can’t hack it. Last time I checked pay was near $20 per hour plus equipment maintenance allowance. Some of you guys need to give it a go. 😂

I obviously didn't know what you called them until now, but our current full time carrier was an RCA before he got this route. When our original carrier retired, this fellow said he did not 'bid' on the position when it came open, but he wished he had. When the original replacement was given her walking papers, he got another chance and jumped at it. I'm glad he did! ... for his sake and ours!

leemozoid

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I started as a Center City CCA casing mail next to Johnny Bell. Only took me a week to realize I was too fat to carry mail. I lost a lot of lbs and took an RCA position at SW/AFU as relief of R33 plus Amazon Sundays and other aux routes during the week. I liked it but it was a rare week that I got 40 hours. I talked to the PM in Blanchard about ways to stay with the PO but get more hours. She suggested that I consider becoming a PSE. She said that it might be a faster path to career although the hours may not be any better. She was right on both counts.

Pstmstr

Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
So am I understanding correctly that rural mail carriers somehow bid for the job and are contractors?
No. Regular rural carriers are postal employees. They “bid” on routes based on seniority. The senior bidder gets the vacant route. There are also Highway Contract routes where non postal individuals can bid on a dollar amount to service the route. This is the type of route that caused the original problem in this thread. The HCR driver quit or was terminated and no one was there to run the route that dropped off mail at several post offices. When that happens they have to do an emergency bid for someone to take the route over. It’s a PITA if you’re the Postmaster.

leemozoid

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No. Regular rural carriers are postal employees. They “bid” on routes based on seniority. The senior bidder gets the vacant route. There are also Highway Contract routes where non postal individuals can bid on a dollar amount to service the route. This is the type of route that caused the original problem in this thread. The HCR driver quit or was terminated and no one was there to run the route that dropped off mail at several post offices. When that happens they have to do an emergency bid for someone to take the route over. It’s a PITA if you’re the Postmaster.
Fortunately I'm seeing fewer "H" routes in the mail I process.

Latest posts

Top Bottom