USSA gun range, info needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can't see myself paying $30/month to be a member out there or paying additional money to be part of the training group if there still is such a thing.

Buzz70

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recently went there as a guest of a current member. The staff was nothing but nice. I had my 16 yo Son with me (very well versed in firearm function/safety, shooting since 9 yo) and they treated him just like me. Sometimes in the shooting community people are uneasy with young shooters, so I thought that was a good sign. When I left I forgot to get my license, so I had to go back, again nothing but nice to me. The bay we were in was like 50 yards deep, maybe 30 or so yards wide, and closed in with three berms. I really liked the fact that we had the bay all to ourselves. I didn't have to worry about getting swept by another shooter like on a firing line. Had a great time. Now a couple things I was disappointed in. On the way to the bay we passed two bays that were flooded and unusable. The member I was with said they had been like that for a couple of weeks. There was a lot of standing water, so I imagine they still may be flooded. The only other thing, there was no benches in the bay we were in. There were a couple of very small dilapidated tables, basically not usable. There were benches in the empty bay next to ours; however the member stated they weren't allowed to move them from bay to bay.

Pros: Staff was nice/helpful, love the private bays fully surrounded by berms, easy access as you can drive right to your bay
Cons: Appears to be a maintenance/upkeep issue with the flooding, no benches and worn out tables

Bottom line is I will go back. Next time I'll bring my own bench.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd love for some match directors and others who've done business there (or tried to, at least) in the last two years to chime in. Statistically speaking, some are guaranteed to have had good experiences but I seriously doubt that it's been the majority. I've personally been there on at least threee occasions when matches were delayed because the back office didn't have its crap together. It's happened to me personally on two occasions.

There have been multiple occasions where scheduled matches were cancelled at the last minute. People having driven from 150+miles away only to have to turn around and go home. Not for some extenuating circumstances. Cancelled because members wanted to use a particular bay.

WAFFENFELT

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I attended an expensive class there while the range was still owned by the founder and had a really bad experience. I notified the management never heard back from them other than a slew of sales calls. It may be better now.

dukhunter20

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My experience: (Hope no one gets butt hurt)

I have been a member of USSA since 2011. My wife and I joined under a trigger time membership. At the time there was a push to get new members so the price for a 3 year membership was $20 a month for the family. This was a great deal in my mind. I was enrolled in the training group for not much more a month. I was already fairly advanced by that time and was training under Steve Aryan for the most part and most of the time is was 2 or less people. During those years, the range was in great shape, but also had very small amount of memberships. The attitude in the pro shop was less than stellar but was on par with other gun shops that I have been to. Still by far the best outdoor shooting facility I have had a chance to shoot at.

I believe ~2 years ago the management changed along with the County taking over a chunk of the property. The 3 year discounted memberships went away along with the high value training group prices. The folks behind the counter are steps above the previous management and service. One of the biggest beefs I have with gun shops, is the look on their face when you step in the door. I know this is not a 5-star restaurant that I am dropping money at, but when they give the since that it is a membership based gun club they should treat you like a member not a nuisance. That being said, the folks there now are pretty nice, but you would probably have to work pretty hard for them to remember you.

Pros: The people are okay/better than average. You do get your own bay and flexibility to switch when you want. You are your own range master. About 20-25 min from most places around Tulsa. Decent selection of firearms to look at - prices are not show stoppers. Typical firing line style ranges if that your cup of tee, 300 yard (hardly anyone is on).

Cons: Cost - Unless you go more than twice a month, you are not making your membership worth it. Hella expensive training group. Range conditions - When it rains there is mud for days, berms are pretty shot up, most of the target are pretty shot up and paper target are usually at midget height (no offense to smaller folks). No big pluses to being a member - 5% discount in pro shop woo hoo.

Bottom Line: 3-1/2 out of 5 Stars. Forget about what people have said about the past, only worry about how they operate now. Based on my current experience, it is a fine line for me to re-up my membership every year. However, there are not too many places you can go outdoors, be in your own bay, and have a great time without someone looking over your shoulder the whole time.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I have been a member of USSA since 2011. My wife and I joined under a trigger time membership. At the time there was a push to get new members so the price for a 3 year membership was $20 a month for the family. This was a great deal in my mind. I was enrolled in the training group for not much more a month. I was already fairly advanced by that time and was training under Steve Aryan for the most part and most of the time is was 2 or less people. During those years, the range was in great shape, but also had very small amount of memberships. The attitude in the pro shop was less than stellar but was on par with other gun shops that I have been to. Still by far the best outdoor shooting facility I have had a chance to shoot at.

I believe ~2 years ago the management changed along with the County taking over a chunk of the property. The 3 year discounted memberships went away along with the high value training group prices. The folks behind the counter are steps above the previous management and service. One of the biggest beefs I have with gun shops, is the look on their face when you step in the door. I know this is not a 5-star restaurant that I am dropping money at, but when they give the since that it is a membership based gun club they should treat you like a member not a nuisance. That being said, the folks there now are pretty nice, but you would probably have to work pretty hard for them to remember you.

Pros: The people are okay/better than average. You do get your own bay and flexibility to switch when you want. You are your own range master. About 20-25 min from most places around Tulsa. Decent selection of firearms to look at - prices are not show stoppers. Typical firing line style ranges if that your cup of tee, 300 yard (hardly anyone is on).

Cons: Cost - Unless you go more than twice a month, you are not making your membership worth it. Hella expensive training group. Range conditions - When it rains there is mud for days, berms are pretty shot up, most of the target are pretty shot up and paper target are usually at midget height (no offense to smaller folks). No big pluses to being a member - 5% discount in pro shop woo hoo.

Bottom Line: 3-1/2 out of 5 Stars. Forget about what people have said about the past, only worry about how they operate now. Based on my current experience, it is a fine line for me to re-up my membership every year. However, there are not too many places you can go outdoors, be in your own bay, and have a great time without someone looking over your shoulder the whole time.

All of the experiences and comments I related were based on current management.

udiablo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

This mirrors my experiences there for the past two years.

Not sure what the problems were with matches mentioned by others, so will ask......could poor planning by the match orgainizer/director have been a contributing factor?

FOG

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My $.02, take it for what it's worth.

Last weekend I was there for Marshall Luton's class (great experience BTW), all day both days. No interaction with management so I can't comment on that. We were on one bay the entire time but from what I could tell from driving around, the facilities seemed decent enough (I have a range at my house so I don't have much to compare to). Their membership numbers seemed pretty strong based on the steady flow of people I noticed driving through and the amount of gun fire I heard both days. I did hear some grumbling from some of the other students regarding USSA's current ownership but no specifics were given.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had a family membership for probably 4 or 5 years. Went to one steel challenge match years ago and it went fine. Ammo and work just got too demanding to continue. Now, I go because I can stop in on the way home from work, shoot a box of ammo and leave without feeling like I wasted my money. Sure, I don't get there as often as I like, but it's nice to be able to pop in without feeling like I have to blast 500 rounds to make it worth my while to go.

I take my son with me (he's 10) on a regular basis, and they never give me a hard time about it. In fact, they let him get a Sprite from the fountain most of the time. He thinks that's great. So for me, it's a GTG.

Latest posts

Top Bottom