USSA sucks anymore

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I found out on Monday what was causing the flooding. There was a beaver dam on the creek behind them that they had to fight to get removed. This was causing the 300 yrd and several 50 yrd bays to flood any time it rained. As far as the tables, yeah they are still trying to recover from last year's flood which washed a vast majority of the stands away. The steel on the 25 yrd bays, well too many people like to use ar-pistols and destroy the plates/stands.

But yes, the current owner seems to sit on his hands when it comes to getting stuff put back in. Half the time I go out there I have to scrap together one target stand out of 2 or 3 because the wood has been shot to crap and they only replace them like twice a week. If I could get into Oil Capitol I would, but other than that I'm stuck. USSA is the closest outdoor range and I do not want to use an indoor range.

ParatusForty-Six

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like all you folks should band together raise some venture capital and build your own state of the art facility. Call it Karen's Shooting Range
That's precious. Nothing about USSA has been state-of-the-art since the Rogers Range and shoot house were sold to the SO. I was a member there since the very first Training Group class, and was a student and competitor of hosted classes and matches long before the current owner came along. He thinks he bought and owns Disney Land, and apparently so do you. I have news for you both. He owns big piles of dirt that are failing, and some steel in the worst condition I've seen on ranges here or anywhere else.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Few pics from yesterday.
No rain for quite some time but bays still flooded.
The "long range" was completely roped off.
20200610_144151.jpg

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe just MAYBE they're gonna start?
While I was there, they had someone mowing.
They also had a wrecker there hauling off some junk cars that had been there for quite some time (I assume from machine gun shoots?).

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe just MAYBE they're gonna start?
While I was there, they had someone mowing.
They also had a wrecker there hauling off some junk cars that had been there for quite some time (I assume from machine gun shoots?).
The cars were there for several reasons. Some were for shooting and some were props in USPSA and other shooting competitions.

Hodgelodge

New to the site!
Reaction score
Well I've got news for you, its worse now. I was there 3 weeks ago and bay 5 is the only bay with any steel, and 2 squares on posts, no plates anywhere. This was one of the main reasons I joined 2 years ago, to shoot steel and its close to home to take the wife on Sundays. If you look on their calendar they no longer host steel challenge events, they've been moved to Oil Capital. I went to Red Castle last weekend with a buddy and boy was I envious, it was great ! I've sent several emails asking what the deal is with the disappearing steel and if there is anything the members can do. I'm still waiting for any type of reply...no surprise. Its a shame..

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well I've got news for you, its worse now. I was there 3 weeks ago and bay 5 is the only bay with any steel, and 2 squares on posts, no plates anywhere. This was one of the main reasons I joined 2 years ago, to shoot steel and its close to home to take the wife on Sundays. If you look on their calendar they no longer host steel challenge events, they've been moved to Oil Capital. I went to Red Castle last weekend with a buddy and boy was I envious, it was great ! I've sent several emails asking what the deal is with the disappearing steel and if there is anything the members can do. I'm still waiting for any type of reply...no surprise. Its a shame..
Sad to hear that. Welcome to OSA!

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I talked to one of the employees today who said he was hired in May and has been working to get everything straightened out. Supposedly he's the one who fixed the issue with the 300yd range flooding and fixed the drains in the 50yd bays. He said they have all the steel in house and are supposedly going to have all steel challenge bays back to normal operation by spring and will also have steels for the 300yd bay.
Also said they are going to buy equipment to extend the 300yd bay out MUCH further...supposedly to surpass Red Castle.

So...some progress would be cool but we shall see. I told him with the current state of things, I would not be renewing my membership. If he succeeds in half the stuff he said they are working on....it would be worth it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom