Utility Bill Shock?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Part of Tx is regulated, part of it is not.
I don't know if it has any relationship to the regulated/unregulated areas, but according to their map, SPP serves the Texas panhandle down to somewhere around Lubbock, and part of east Texas that appears to cover Texarkana and possibly Tyler.

I wonder how they did in comparison to the ERCOT areas.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know if it has any relationship to the regulated/unregulated areas, but according to their map, SPP serves the Texas panhandle down to somewhere around Lubbock, and part of east Texas that appears to cover Texarkana and possibly Tyler.

I wonder how they did in comparison to the ERCOT areas.
The unregulated companies that buy and sell on the open market are the issue here. I think one is called Giddy? The regulated companies are only charging their normal rates.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The unregulated companies that buy and sell on the open market are the issue here. I think one is called Giddy? The regulated companies are only charging their normal rates.

Griddy. The surge in pricing is hitting people who have chosen to pay wholesale prices for their power, which is typically cheaper than paying fixed rates during good weather, but can spike when there’s high demand for electricity. Many of those who have reported receiving large bills are customers of electricity provider Griddy, which operates only in Texas.

Wholesale electricity prices fluctuate based on demand. Because natural gas pipelines and wind turbines froze up in Texas, there was less power available, but high demand for electricity, causing wholesale prices to shoot up, said Joshua Rhodes, an energy research associate at the University of Texas.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did a quick check on my usage for the month.

For the month of January, which is the February billing date, there was 18.728 Dekatherms used. Reading my meter, I have used 25.7 Dekatherms so far in February. That equates to $98.15 for the cost of fuel based on the February customer fuel cost/Dth rate.

If the fuel cost remains the same, the variable portion of the bill will go from $71.52 to $98.15. However it's that rate of $3.819 that may be increased substantially due to the spot price of gas going off the charts. I keep hearing, the residential gas companies are going to try to spread out the temporary price increase over the year instead of all the increase hitting in February.

upload_2021-2-24_9-42-27.png

upload_2021-2-24_9-41-32.png

upload_2021-2-24_9-39-38.png

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We are on propane, just had the tank filled for $2.89 a gallon. Close to a $2.00 hike from last time we had it filled. Good thing is we should make it till spring/summer before we I'll need to buy propane again. Provided we don't have another mess like we just went through.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't need the bill to go into shock, the estimated bill already did that for me.

:scream::scream::scream:

View attachment 194833
Damn, you have 5000 sf house? Ours will be about $300 from the estimated bill. All electric and 2400 sf but needs a lot of insulation which will happen in the coming weeks. We moved in last year and didn't take the time to do it and will eat the chit sammich on that. We also burned 2+ ricks of wood, so another $300 for wood

harley128

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We are on propane, just had the tank filled for $2.89 a gallon. Close to a $2.00 hike from last time we had it filled. Good thing is we should make it till spring/summer before we I'll need to buy propane again. Provided we don't have another mess like we just went through.
are you saying the last time you filled you paid around $.89 a gallon? When was that--- 1989 ?

Latest posts

Top Bottom