Utter newb buys Dillon 550b!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daniel1daniel2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is one "book" for you http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp I use it quite a bit to verify loads between books and they update it quite often.
I prefer a beam scale/non electronic scale but that is just me. Always check at least the first 10 powder drops to make sure that it is on. When you get used to it you can cut back a little but NEVER cut back all the way.
Lee has a decent dial caliper for the money I got one off midway for about $30 probably 6 months ago.
When you start resizing cases take your barrel out there with you and try just dropping them in there, a necessity if only neck sizing for rifle, but I like to do it with all just to make sure they will work.
Check all your 9mm brass and make sure it has a manufactures name on it, if it only has 4 letters/numbers that are 90 degrees apart it is military brass and a pain in the (thing you sit on) to load. I have tried drilling it out several times and have got them to accept primers but I mess up more primers than I get in them so now I just toss them or if you want a hard target try to hit one of them.
Don't start at the max load start in the middle or lower and work your way up watching for pressure signs. I usually jump only 0.1 grains per jump.
Powder funnel is about a must if you plan on loading any thing smaller than about .32-.30 cal Don't know if you can get by without it on the progressives I have not used one yet.
I use Unique for pretty well all pistol because it fills the cases. have never used Winchester WST so am no help there.

And if you come up with any more questions feel free to ask

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I too like bulky powders that more than half fill cases. Any double charge will run over.

Most new reloaders will eventually consider loading some rounds very light, using less than the published minimum amount of powder. Don't do it. There is a somewhat rare phenomenon known as "detonation" where all the powder burns at once instead of incrementally. Blows up guns. About every reloading manual mentions it.

Don't cheap out on reloading manuals.

'Bonjour' If you get loads off the internet, be sure to cross check them against other sources. 'au revoir'

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
WOOHOOO! I cleaned my first brass! :gun1: That's right! I also bought some powder from Bass Pro! Bought the wrong stuff though! Dadgum! Apparently when you ask the guy behind the counter for powder that is good for handgun cartridges and versatile he comes up with Hodgdon H380, which is apparently a rifle powder and not even one that is good for any caliber I use! AHHH! That's ok though. I am sure someone around here will need it.

The little tumbler worked great on the brass. Cleaned up a bunch of 9 amd 40!

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And more than one load book, three or four is better to compare loads.
A case mouth deburr tool, and a trimmer.
A good pair of calipers and 0-1 mic.
Powder funnel.

If you've never loaded ammo before then set that 550 up to load single stage to learn the basics and get a good understanding of how the loading process works. If you run into trouble, PM me for help.

calipers can be found at harbor freight for cheap, depending on what you are loading, you may not need some of the rest. Don't really need a tumbler unless you want purty bullets and cases.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
WOOHOOO! I cleaned my first brass! :gun1: That's right! I also bought some powder from Bass Pro! Bought the wrong stuff though! Dadgum! Apparently when you ask the guy behind the counter for powder that is good for handgun cartridges and versatile he comes up with Hodgdon H380, which is apparently a rifle powder and not even one that is good for any caliber I use! AHHH! That's ok though. I am sure someone around here will need it.

The little tumbler worked great on the brass. Cleaned up a bunch of 9 amd 40!

I want the H380. Will you sell it to me?

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

you need more primer filler tubes, never enough of those.

ColtDogg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now when I got my XL650 last month, I got a big box of things I orderd with my press, but the press did not come in tell about 3 days later. Still no dies yet. I did find some lee dies and made about 500 RDS. So far. I also bought a lot of things for it off of Amazon dot com as well. As of now I am only set up for .223. Then fixing to get set up for 300 blackout next. Maybe next year I will the think about getting set up for 9mm, .45 and 308.

The first 150 rds I ran it took me well over 3 he's to run but I took it slow and check myself over, and over. I am sure the more I run, the faster I will get but it will be some time before I get to that point.

Now I have got a lot of crap from others why Istarted with a 650 right from start. But the way I see it, why spend money to start with a lower end press and wish I would of bought bigger. And I am going to buy a Single Stage Reloading Press here very soon to do some hand loads with.

penman53

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You can get load data off of the different powder manufacturers like Hodgson etc. There is also a website called handloads.com that is great. Plus if your shoot with experienced shooters they will give you load info also.

penman53

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
On the Dillon pickup tube, just make sure that the primers are pointing with the anvil down when you slide the sleeve out of the box. I cut the box on two sides so the plastic primer holder slides off the cardboard leaving the primers pointing down. Just pick them up with the primer tube and put them into the the Dillon primer feed tube. I hardly ever use a primer flip tray but I must admit Dillon makes the best one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom