Utter newb buys Dillon 550b!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On the Dillon pickup tube, just make sure that the primers are pointing with the anvil down when you slide the sleeve out of the box. I cut the box on two sides so the plastic primer holder slides off the cardboard leaving the primers pointing down. Just pick them up with the primer tube and put them into the the Dillon primer feed tube. I hardly ever use a primer flip tray but I must admit Dillon makes the best one.

Figured that one out through trial and error. Once those things go in upside down they are a pita to get out of that darn tube! Ahhh... Loaded about 50 rounds of 9mm. Single stage style as recommended.

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok folks! I have a question. I have been reloading some 9mm. Just about 50 rounds and finally seem to have gotten all the dimensions correct according to the lyman book aside from the fact that there remains a little bit of a narrowing of the brass between the base and the depth where the bullet is set. So, I have scoured the interwebs to discover that the "Coke Bottle" look on 9mm is normal. However, when I read the book and look at actual dimensions there is no mention of this. 9mm is a tapered round but I have never seen a factory round with the coke bottle look. Am I doing this right or what?

expertzx

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok folks! I have a question. I have been reloading some 9mm. Just about 50 rounds and finally seem to have gotten all the dimensions correct according to the lyman book aside from the fact that there remains a little bit of a narrowing of the brass between the base and the depth where the bullet is set. So, I have scoured the interwebs to discover that the "Coke Bottle" look on 9mm is normal. However, when I read the book and look at actual dimensions there is no mention of this. 9mm is a tapered round but I have never seen a factory round with the coke bottle look. Am I doing this right or what?

You talking about the crimp? The crimp on my 9mm's are very gradual, it's there but you can barely notice it. I don't recall my rounds having too much of a coke bottle look.

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a dillon 550 and my 9mm has the "coke bottle" look. From what I have read this is normal. Mine shoot just fine

Thanks for the reply. I've read that a many times. Appreciated.

You talking about the crimp? The crimp on my 9mm's are very gradual, it's there but you can barely notice it. I don't recall my rounds having too much of a coke bottle look.

Not the crimp. I belive I have a nice lightly crimpped round with not much of a pinch in at the top of the brass just below the projectile. It meets specs perfectly it seems there. Or within a fraction of so. The narrow portion is approximately half way between the ends of the brass or the middle of the brass. It slightly narrows like a waist on the brass. Seems many believe it to be normal.

Phadrian

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Apparently when you ask the guy behind the counter for powder that is good for handgun cartridges and versatile he comes up with Hodgdon H380, which is apparently a rifle powder and not even one that is good for any caliber I use! AHHH!
He probably sold you that because that is all he had. Althoguh H380 can reload some pistol calibers, it is not your first choice.

WOOHOOO! I cleaned my first brass!
If you deprimed your cases first make sure your flash holes do not have any media in them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom