UUUMMMM wow! How to field dress a deer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Such finesse...

You can also take an air compressor with an attachment that has small tube on the end which is slipped under the hide, then push the trigger to allow the air to separate the hide away.

Have seen this done on video, does it really work well enough to try? I assume while its still warm would be best..

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have not done this personally, but I think if you have a tube, say 6", and slip it under the hide and give a quick shot of air, while the carcass is warm, then it should work. I never havem y tools that close to where I clean the deer to try it. Conceptually it should work.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The ODW air skins your spoonbill at the research station at Grand lake.
Wanted to try that on some catfish. I'll bet it would work. Modify one of those hi volume meat injector needles and go to town.

High volume air is the trick. The OSHA style air guns won't work. Drill out the orfice, or go with a large volume tank and a quick release valve to get air in quickly.

FireFighter87

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've seen video of this done, but never done it. Does it need to slip under the hide anywhere in particular? Is this done before the hide is cut at the hooves?

I have tried it a couple of times on coyotes. I will say it did seem to help, but it wasn't like the skin just peeled off or anything.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
The ODW air skins your spoonbill at the research station at Grand lake.
Wanted to try that on some catfish. I'll bet it would work. Modify one of those hi volume meat injector needles and go to town.

High volume air is the trick. The OSHA style air guns won't work. Drill out the orfice, or go with a large volume tank and a quick release valve to get air in quickly.
Wouldn't the air escape as soon as it got to the bullet hole?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would be worried about the oil or tank moisture getting on my meat.
Better have top notch filtration on your air tank.

I like the gutless method of skinning .I get almost no hair on the meat and never have to mess with the guts.

Latest posts

Top Bottom