UUUMMMM wow! How to field dress a deer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
What is the gutless method? Is it quicker and/or easier in the field?

Rarely will we gut a doe, unless we're going to let her hang. On the tailgate, we cut hide down the back from neck to tail. Skin top side and remove the back strap, rear meat and whatever front shoulder meat you want to keep. Flip deer over and repeat. When both side are done, you can made a couple of small incisions along the back, slide your hand in and remove the tenderloins. Everything gets rinsed off when done, so hair isn't an issue ever.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
yep long haul requires lightening the load.
Yes gutless you cut the hide down the back I also cut from back towards legs making multiple strips of hide I can pull towards the gut area.

Had to do that on a couple hogs that I cleaned by myself.

My son drug his first deer very far across many large rocks,, some large as a bus.
1 mile later the deer he shot was sanded down on one side and looked like rawhide.
Splotched area's with no hair left.

He was pooped out.
I had people ask me if he was exited on his first deer kill.
I reply NO he was hunched over looking down at the deer and said : Someone needs to put that in the truck for me.
He then walked to the truck got a water and sat down.
Rough terrain where I stuck him.
This is almost the 1/2 way point I had him at the top of the mountain and another 100 yards to the left. You can't see the top in the picture,, it gets rough with large boulders. Great views though.

i263.photobucket.com_albums_ii146_6jeffswish_woods_20002.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom