Vaca/anniversary ideas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

V98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Me and the whole fam damily are FINALLY going to San Antonio this year. I got an old buddy who is an Alamo Ranger that has been trying to get me to come down there for years now. Finally gonna do it.

Probably stop at Waco to see the Texas Rangers HOF and museum on the way.

After a day or two in San Antone, we're gonna cruise on down to Corpus Christi to see the beach and the Selena museum. Both my girls are HUGE fans.

Wish me luck!
If you’ve never been you ought to drop in the bar at the Menger Hotel. Teddy Roosevelt recruited some Rough Riders there. Historic old place. Have fun!

https://www.mengerhotel.com/san-antonio-restaurants/menger-bar

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Magazine Mountain in Arkansas has some great cabins. Not a whole lot of things to do, but it's a great place to just 'chill'. There's a good restaurant in the Lodge. The cabins have charcoal grills and hot tubs. Hmmm......I may have just talked myself into going again!

Good luck on your choice!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We haven’t been anywhere for 5 years. The virus, building and selling a house, etc has gotten in the way. Would like a cabin to chill for a few days. SE/E Oklahoma, hot springs Arkansas or something totally different. I’ll defer to you all’s that are up on this stuff and the best location,service,price etc
RedRiver NM has lots of rental homes north of town. We stayed at one 4 mi North that was casting distance from the Red River stream.
Had elk and mule deer walk past while we were sitting on the front porch. I know another OSA member that has stayed in that same area for snow skiing during the winter.
In the summer ATV/UTV rentals for off-roading is popular. Ski lift is open for a ride to the top and a meal at the restaurant. Burgers and such.
Decent restaurants in town, not far from Taos.
Driving the Enchanted circle is a very nice day trip.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
RedRiver NM has lots of rental homes north of town. We stayed at one 4 mi North that was casting distance from the Red River stream.
Had elk and mule deer walk past while we were sitting on the front porch. I know another OSA member that has stayed in that same area for snow skiing during the winter.
In the summer ATV/UTV rentals for off-roading is popular. Ski lift is open for a ride to the top and a meal at the restaurant. Burgers and such.
Decent restaurants in town, not far from Taos.
Driving the Enchanted circle is a very nice day trip.

Red River has a brewery now that has good beer and food. I think they even started making their own whiskey. There’s also a place you can stay in town of red River that has a private pond that they stock with trout. Each cabin gets a limit of 5 trout a day, or that’s what it was a few years ago.

I always drive to Taos for breakfast at Michael’s Kitchen. It’s the best. The Plaza is neat to walk around.

If you do decide to stay in Red River, OP, make sure that when you go you’re not going when all the locals leave for their own vacations. It seems like there’s a week or two a year when all the store and restaurant owners just up and leave town. Other than that Red River has my vote. It’s a nice quiet town… except for this weekend. This weekend is the Memorial Day Weekend Motorcycle Rally.

V98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Red River has a brewery now that has good beer and food. I think they even started making their own whiskey. There’s also a place you can stay in town of red River that has a private pond that they stock with trout. Each cabin gets a limit of 5 trout a day, or that’s what it was a few years ago.

I always drive to Taos for breakfast at Michael’s Kitchen. It’s the best. The Plaza is neat to walk around.

If you do decide to stay in Red River, OP, make sure that when you go you’re not going when all the locals leave for their own vacations. It seems like there’s a week or two a year when all the store and restaurant owners just up and leave town. Other than that Red River has my vote. It’s a nice quiet town… except for this weekend. This weekend is the Memorial Day Weekend Motorcycle Rally.
You know, it’s crazy (and kind of sad) how many businesses and restaurants have closed in and around Red River, Angel Fire and Taos since the “pandemic” started.

I think that’s why the folks in Taos basically ignored the NM State edicts from the start. Even so, many of the places we enjoyed are gone.

We asked about State mandates two years ago and a local in Taos said “just ignore them, we are starving, we need your business.”

We went then, very few people were wearing masks and no one gave us a hard time about not wearing a mask.

We respected any establishment that required an indoor mask but few even cared. We had a great time.

There are still some great places but they have limited hours, limited staff and menus.

The good news is this, we’re here during the Red River Bike Rally and it isn’t crowded or noisy!

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions, keep ‘em coming.
We’re familiar with the toas angelfire eagles nest areas. My grandparents bought land and build a house in 1969 close to the Lake Vallecito area NE of Durango. After my grandparents passed away we were able to stay at friends of theirs place up until 5 or six years ago. Love the mountains in Colorado.
Toas may still not be out of the question but we kinda want to go east. Just looked at the place that @turkeyrun posted. We love lake Murray and our kids literally grew up o the boat there. Funny, my wife just mentioned going down there and just hang out.

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom