Vehicle A/C Repair Recommendations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brother_Stephen

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My 2004 Toyota’s A/C is blowing decently, but needs a Freon boost. The air is not cool at all. Also, the A/C will blow decently hard for a while, then within 30-40 minutes slow down to blowing nothing at all.

Looking for an honest shop in the Tulsa/Broken Arrow area that can fix this A/C issue.

Thanks all!

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it was me at that age of vehicle I'd just buy one of the recharge kits from the parts store and do it myself as long as its 134 and not r12. Not sure when they switched over. Just get one of the ones with the pressure gauge on top and follow instructions. Check to make sure you don't have any cabin air filters that could be restricting airflow too.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it was me at that age of vehicle I'd just buy one of the recharge kits from the parts store and do it myself as long as its 134 and not r12. Not sure when they switched over. Just get one of the ones with the pressure gauge on top and follow instructions. Check to make sure you don't have any cabin air filters that could be restricting airflow too.

Yep ^^^^ It's very easy and I'm sure there are tons of videos on youtube.

Good luck!

sklfco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your running for 30-40 minutes and then stopping completely is most likely what is referred to as “freezing up”.
Easy enough to verify with common electrical steps.
Short version is the compressor is not cycling out on the low side. I would bet the low side pressure switch is stuck closed. Easy enough repair IF that schrader valve is behind it.
A nasty surprise if it is not, and by nasty I mean possible blindness n death kinda crap !!!
Simple enough to put a shop rag over it and wear winter leather gloves and eyepro!
Otherwise, yea take it in and be prepared
A/c jobs ain’t cheap

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Blower speeds up and or slows down .
Check and see if your vehicle has a blower motor resistor.
If yes you may need one.

But first check battery voltage with ac on high and headlights on and turn on the hazzard lamps also.
Basically doing a load test on the alternator.

You should have well over 13 volts 13.8-14.8 volts with a vehicle running.
Checked at the battery if you were wondering .

Yes it is 134A system many Toyota vehicles went to 134A before the 1996 requirement year.
My 1995 Corolla is 134A.

Coolant line that is the fatter one under the hood should be sweating and cold when the AC is on.

Sweating in this humidity is easy.. dry air a little tougher to make sweat.

Check that and if it is cold and sweaty then you could have air mix door issues.
That would allow heat from the heater core to mix with the cold air and would also cause slow air speed as it could be a mix door allowing air to exit the defrost vents and you would not feel as much in the floor or chest area vents.

Good luck.

Latest posts

Top Bottom