Vehicle Searches at a College Campus?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, my understanding would be that legally, the SDA does not prevent them from searching your vehicle, but that they could not prevent you from entering or parking on campus or leaving your car while on campus due to a legally carried firearm.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I said that the searches probably are in conflict with the SDA. It depends on what the guard at the gate says and does. Not having gone through the gate I can only speculate. But the effect is chilling and makes it appear that students, staff and visitors are being denied their right under the SDA to have firearms in their vehicle if they have a concealed carry permit.

The article is congratulatory to tone towards Langston for having done a good job in protecting their people. No doubt the searches are being done with the best of intent but this is the kind of incremental encroachment that lays a foundation for further loss of freedom. I say that depriving people of the means to defend themselves is wrong, and that is what appears to be happening.

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I said that the searches probably are in conflict with the SDA. It depends on what the guard at the gate says and does. Not having gone through the gate I can only speculate. But the effect is chilling and makes it appear that students, staff and visitors are being denied their right under the SDA to have firearms in their vehicle if they have a concealed carry permit.

The article is congratulatory to tone towards Langston for having done a good job in protecting their people. No doubt the searches are being done with the best of intent but this is the kind of incremental encroachment that lays a foundation for further loss of freedom. I say that depriving people of the means to defend themselves is wrong, and that is what appears to be happening.

Seems like you were trolling earlier, so I wasn't going to reply. The bottom line is it's their party, and they'll search if they want to. You have every right to tell them to get bent and they can't search your vehicle. They have every right to tell you to pound sand and get off their property. The ONLY issue with SDA would be if they denied you entry because you stored your firearm in the vehicle. There is no evidence they have done so, and as of now any talk of it would be tin foil banter.

langston302

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I want to make this very clear. I am not affiliated with the LUPD or administration.

The university police and the administration decided that placing the signs and conducting random searches would increase the safety and decrease the criminal activity. In the student handbook the students do sign that they have read the rules and the rules include statements about search and seizure.

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm confused, wouldn't you have to inform the officer that you are a license holder and there is a firearm in the car and that would be the end of it? If there is someone that is not a law enforcement officer asking to search my car regardless of any sign there is legal authority that would support that unless I am greatly misunderstanding the situation.

Per the SDA one only has to inform an officer "in the event of an arrest, detainment, or routine traffic stop". If I was at my computer instead off on a phone I would post the exact statute.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom