Vehicle Wraps - A Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I see a lot of vehicles that have been “wrapped”, mostly for business purposes, and got me wondering what damage that does to the vehicle surface.

Hardly a pressing issue, and it will not change my opinions about masks, trans-anything’s, 9mm vs 45, or weather balloons, just curious…

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That was what I was thinking. Another example of well thought out marketing plans.
How much damage is going to be done to the factory paint job in having a vehicle done up in your company’s livery and having its name plastered on the side? Seems to me that the damage is going to be a wash at best, and the wrap is almost certainly going to be significantly cheaper to install, especially when you’re looking at the full color murals on the full size vans of some companies. Plus, those vehicles are all going to have a uniform look that can’t be replicated by an artist, no matter how skilled he is.

It all depends on what you want to accomplish. There’s something to be said for custom paint work, but it’s hard to beat wraps for cost effectiveness.

RVCooper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My Jeep was wrapped when I bought and I peeled it as soon as I got it home.

The factory paint was very nice underneath. There wasn't even any residue to clean up.
It probably matters what brand of vinyl you use. I'm planning to wrap it again myself when warm weather gets here.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
10y ago technology vs now isn't comparable imo. Folks spend a small fortunate to wrap their vehicles over painting it, sometimes several thousand dollars. I know two folks who's wrapped a vehicle and changed colors with no damage underneath. It's important to do it on new or relatively new paint and don't exceed the lifespan of the wrap, or damage could occur when removing it. I researched this extensively trying to decide between wrap and paint.

jackinok09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
a guy i work with had an old truck that was starting to rust. he had a body shop weld up the rust and then wrap it. he said it was a whole lot cheaper than having it re-painted.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No damage from current wrap products, a lot of folks with very high end cars wrap them, several Lambos running around Tulsa that get a new wrap periodically.

If you have a vehicle that is partially wrapped you absolutely might see some sun fade depending on the time it was wrapped, and the exposure to sun.

cboss

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At the Toyota dealership I worked at, the parts guy told me that unless moisture gets between the wrap and the paint, there shouldn't be any damage, but that's why it needs to be done by a pro, not some guy in his garage

Latest posts

Top Bottom