Venison Chili Recipe

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"my wife says it's too gamey"

My wife adds 2 beef bullion cubes to her chili and roast and then slow cooks it all day in the crock pot. However, I also butcher my own deer and it gets soaked in cold salt water usually for a day, off the bone, and rinsed good before I cut and wrap. If you dont process it yourself you could probbly try soaking it in salt water before you cook it as well. Make sure you use non iodized salt and go easy with it or it will taste salty. I have never had a complaint about my deer being gamey doing this and we also grill a lot of deer steak. Field care and processing are also important.
This!
You gotta get the blood out of the meat to get rid of that gamey taste. Soak in cold salt water pulls the blood out, soak for at least a day, even 2 won't hurt.

On steak cuts, I've even soaked in garlic salt water, for at least a day, they turn out so tender & delicious.
Never any gamey taste.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gamey?
Soak in milk or buttermilk
Or clean immediately after shooting, cool meat, let hang for 7-10 days.

Mix venison with beef
Brown meat, add chopped onion, garlic, RED bell pepper.
2 Alarm Kit
NO BEANS, you are making CHILI, not beans.
Chunky Rotel

Serve with a topping of shredded cheddar

Deer Dad

New to the site!
Reaction score
This!
You gotta get the blood out of the meat to get rid of that gamey taste. Soak in cold salt water pulls the blood out, soak for at least a day, even 2 won't hurt.

On steak cuts, I've even soaked in garlic salt water, for at least a day, they turn out so tender & delicious.
Never any gamey taste.
We always soak ours in salt water, also. Never have anyone say it tastes gamey.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My oldest daughter asked me for my chili recipe for her boss. I told her I didn't have a recipe, because I've never made it the same way twice.

The only consistency is I use 2 pounds of ground beef, a pound of deer and a pound of Blue & Gold sausage. I brown it in bacon grease, season with 2 packets of Lipton onion soup mix and a can of Italian diced tomatoes and about a cup of Pace chunky salsa. Everything else is just thrown in.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just soak mine in plain, ice cold water for 24 hours after rough cutting off the carcass. I then soak it again for another 24 hours in plain water in the fridge after I thaw. Thats it. It practically removes all of the hemoglobin.

I also cut all of the facia and fat off before grinding. Totally removes the gamey flavor (as long as you don't let your dead deer sit 12 hors before butchering).

I bet 75% of the Oklahomans that have had my venison chili were surprised to learn it is venison and not beef that they're eating.

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This!

Never any gamey taste.
If i can help it i dont soak deer meat. It processes much better, packages better, with less waste and no liquid burger if it’s kept dry.

BTW the meat isnt full of blood, its myoglobin that exist inside and is mistaken as blood.

MrChris

Sniper
Special Hen
Reaction score
If i can help it i dont soak deer meat. It processes much better, packages better, with less waste and no liquid burger if it’s kept dry.

BTW the meat isnt full of blood, its myoglobin that exist inside and is mistaken as blood.

I am with you. I will never soak my meat. Too many nasty things happen to the meat doing this. I like my red meat to be red. Im not into gray meat. I also would not take the risk of bacteria and wet meat.
If I don't have access to a walk in to hang for 10-14 days, I do it in coolers, but make every effort I can to not get the meat wet. I have a couple of cases of water bottles that I freeze solid before my hunt and then place in good coolers. The bottles stay frozen much longer than bags of ice, and the coolers stay dry at all times. I will quarter my kill as soon as humanly possible after killing it and it ages in a cooler full of bottles for 7-14 days. I use a thermometer with a probe to monitor the temp in the cooler.
I have never tasted "gamey" venison using this method and my meat keeps that brilliant red color.

Latest posts

Top Bottom