Venison Chili Recipe

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never have had deer that doesn’t taste incredibly gamey. Elk is good, deer, terrible. Pretty much why I gave up hunting deer. I don’t trophy hunting, would rather eat ribeyes.

Only way I like it is jerky.Beefy jerky is still better.

meatGrinder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never have had deer that doesn’t taste incredibly gamey. Elk is good, deer, terrible. Pretty much why I gave up hunting deer. I don’t trophy hunting, would rather eat ribeyes.

Only way I like it is jerky.Beefy jerky is still better.
Never had a single bite of venison that did not taste incredibly gamey? Something wrong with the butchering/processing....

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never had a single bite of venison that did not taste incredibly gamey? Something wrong with the butchering/processing....
Not what I said. I like elk. I’ve never had white tail deer that actual tastes good. Always has tasted gamey no matter who butchered it, processed it, or prepared it. While possible every single person butchered and processed it wrong, I highly doubt it.

Doesn’t bother me either way. Glad people like it, glad I’m not a mountain lion 😀.

enuf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Must be lots of ways to get rid of "gamey" - not only do I field dress it and stick it in the refrigerator the same day; but what I have found is to forget the processers and do it yourself. I spend hours and hours removing all of the veins, and all of that silver and stringy white crap. No gamey at our table. Same with fish, that redish brown stuff has got to go. Sure, I am down in the back by the end of the day, but it is worth it at the table.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Deer can taste gamey - I just don't notice it much.

I make sausage with deer and pigs and a few years ago the wife said some a batch tasted "strong" to her, as opposed to the others. She insisted that the big buck was seriously gamey as opposed to the does. (I know this is true to a certain extent, but in a cured, smoked sausage?)

So - I tried three sausages - one from the buck, the one from a doe, and one commercial pork sausage.

Sampled next to each other the difference was clear. The doe had a mild flavor, yet distinctly deer. The pork was very bland (unlike wild pig) - the one from the buck was absolutely strong tasting. (it was a mature buck, killed during the rut)

All tasted good to me, but I eat goats, sheep and all manner of creatures, so "gamey" doesn't come across as bad on my palate. Wife grew up on grocery store bland food, so it threw her off a bit.

I intentionally shoot mostly does now, just to avoid that "rutting buck" flavor. Mostly....

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I killed a couple of does this year, and absolutely none of the meat had a gamey or wild taste to it.

I don't trust most of the deer processors out there, so I process my own deer, and know it is taken care of.

Even when I fry some up, with nothing but a dusting of flour and salt and pepper, I don't care how good your nose is, you will never smell anything that smells like deer, wild game or anything else wild.

Like myself and most of the guys here say, it all comes down to preparation, from the time you pull the trigger, to cleaning, preparation and cooking. If properly done, there is not really any smell to a deer.

Of course there are exceptions to the rule. A big ol nasty buck in full rut, or a deer that has it's tongue hanging out after running itself nearly to death from being chased by dogs...

But a good healthy deer, it doesn't get much better!

IMG_20211105_145152.jpg

Properly cooked, no knife required!

Latest posts

Top Bottom