Venison Chili

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm thinking there's a reason why nobody makes it close to the original any more...:)

Everything sounds pretty close to most recipes of today with the exception of the suet (meat, fat, liquid, spices). I believe the suet is the "thickener" in this recipe as most nowadays use cornmeal or flour. Being as I dont eat either of those (carbs), this should be pretty ideal, I hope.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Will be interesting to know if the suet leaves a waxy feeling film in your mouth when you eat it. I quit putting any type of suet in deer burger just for that reason. Couldn't stand the "feeling" of the added fat in the meat..

Don't forget the Ketchup...

Personofinterest

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMG_0779.JPG

I used to have the pleasure of being a chili judge. ( C.A.S.I.) Besides tasting some fantastic Texas red we would smooze with the cooks after the competition. The conversation would always get to secret ingredients. I tried one that I would consider a definite keeper.
One honorable mention, a slight squeeze of lime just before serving, makes the whole dish just pop.

Last edited:

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 108282
I used to have the pleasure of being a chili judge. ( C.A.S.I.) Besides tasting some fantastic Texas red we would smooze with the cooks after the competition. The conversation would always get to secret ingredients. I tried one that I would consider a definite keeper.
One honorable mention, a slight squeeze of lime just before serving, makes the whole dish just pop.

Goya goes well in a meat and vegie soup as well, deer or beef.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
View attachment 108282

The recipe I use calls for Sazon Goya Con Azafran, might have to give that one a shot..

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My Chili that made 5th place in the State Championship of Ok used Masa flour as a thickener. It's a unique flavor lots of judges haven't tasted.

Venison with pork liver fat added for the protein.
I've added some beer on occasion to enhance the flavor to a different level.
The lime mentioned above, will be in the next version to try, that could be an interesting add on.

Hint....if your competing in a chili contest, and the judges are not C.A.S.I certified, but local celebs for judges, add plenty of salt, and run the beans through a blender adding in small amounts to the chile for added flavor levels. The locals typically eat theirs that way, and you have to cook for the judges.

Latest posts

Top Bottom