very interesting story

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are full function (armorer level) tests for pretty much every firearm out there. If it fails a test, it's not safe to use in competition. IDPA specifically requires all safety features to be operational and at least at the National level, these tests are performed right before ammo is chrono'd. If you do your own work (I do all of my own, but had Accurate Iron do my M&P), PLEASE do the tests before loading live ammo!!!

ShaunyP26

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are full function (armorer level) tests for pretty much every firearm out there. If it fails a test, it's not safe to use in competition. IDPA specifically requires all safety features to be operational and at least at the National level, these tests are performed right before ammo is chrono'd. If you do your own work (I do all of my own, but had Accurate Iron do my M&P), PLEASE do the tests before loading live ammo!!!

I'm trying to get more self reliant and do my own work so this is great stuff to know.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

This gun probably would pass all function tests (at least the ones S&W showed us in their M&P armorer course). That is, there isn't a function test that shows the striker block actually blocks the striker without a trigger pull. You have to go beyond function tests to catch this problem.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This gun probably would pass all function tests (at least the ones S&W showed us in their M&P armorer course). That is, there isn't a function test that shows the striker block actually blocks the striker without a trigger pull. You have to go beyond function tests to catch this problem.
If so, then that's a VERY dangerous practice and the people doing it are assuming a lot of liability. :(

I'll admit I just didn't want to spend the time analyzing the M&P mechanism, hence sending it to Mikey. FWIW, All I do on my competition Glocks is install a 3.5 Ghost Rocket and do a .25 cent fluff & buff. I don't see the need to do all that sketchy stuff of spend three figures for a trigger kit. I can't track the front sight past .15 splits anyway! ;)

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The 2 I saw were totally ground off (so the trigger bar wouldn't engage them at all), and therefore had the "valley" on the block cut so the striker could travel by without the block moving. I was like WTF!, and then threw all the parts away and stared with new ones. It could also be accomplished by removing it completely, but I doubt that's the case with this shooter's gun. There may be other ways, but I'm not sure (i.e., never tried to figure that one out!).

See there you go. Hack jobs.
That's what I was thinking either removed altogether which defies all logic and common sense or ground to nothing by a dweeb. We should regulate dremel tools!

If so, then that's a VERY dangerous practice and the people doing it are assuming a lot of liability. :(

I'll admit I just didn't want to spend the time analyzing the M&P mechanism, hence sending it to Mikey. FWIW, All I do on my competition Glocks is install a 3.5 Ghost Rocket and do a .25 cent fluff & buff. I don't see the need to do all that sketchy stuff of spend three figures for a trigger kit. I can't track the front sight past .15 splits anyway! ;)

AI has done all of mine except one and it's bone stock. Yes I have a few. :lookaroun

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe I'm missing something, but what is the actual purpose of altering the block? Sounds to me like it only adds inconsistencies to shooting.
Much of the so-called "enhanced action work" on the competition circuit is good for shooters like me, who live and die on monotonously repeatable reliability. ;)

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One thing that makes me cringe is when I see someone advertising a gun for sale and they say they've "done a trigger job" or they've "polished the ramp" ... Yikes!

Many a firearm has been ruined by some over zealous hacker with a Dremel.

Latest posts

Top Bottom