Veteran Obtained a History AND A Law Degree

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It says he borrowed money to pay for school, that doesn’t mean it was in the form of official student loans.

It could be a whole bunch of unsecured debt from multiple sources and therefore can be discharged by bankruptcy.

filbert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If we would quit giving out this easy student loan money the price of college would go down because a of kids wouldn't go to college, and a lot of useless degrees wouldn't be out there either. Also a lot of kids who don't need to go to college wouldn't go. Then you have these cheap online, and once a night for a year and you get your degree schools. Degree mills, pay to play schools, schools that just want to make money. Just my opinion.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I dunno what the problem is but I know tuition pays for the "Diversity Managers." sports programs and other sundry jobs and programs they can come up with-and they increase tuition every year and the poor student struggles to pay tuition, books etc and the student isn't even involved in activities that he or she pay for thru tuition. And I haven't even mentioned the failure to teach pertinent subjects in which the instructor has a host of personal opinions that forge young minds that isn't subject-related.

HeyEng

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Student loan debt is generally not dischargeable even in a bankruptcy.

There is relatively new case law that says otherwise in the 5th circuit.

Attorneys should not assume that all of a debtor’s student loans are covered by the discharge exception in Bankruptcy Code § 523(a)(8). Although most federal student loans are nondischargeable, a recent line of cases has found that certain private student loans can be discharged. The Fifth Circuit, the first court of appeals to rule on the issues raised in these cases, has sided with the debtor in a must-read decision for debtors’ attorneys.

In In re Crocker, 941 F.3d 206 (5th Cir. 2019), the two named plaintiffs argued that their student loans (one obtained to pay for tuition and expenses to attend a technical school and the other for a bar examination preparation course) did not fit in any of section 523(a)(8)’s three subsections. Navient conceded that subsection 523(a)(8)(A)(i) did not apply to the loans, which generally protects from discharge loans made or insured by a governmental unit or a nonprofit institution.

Navient also did not take advantage of the exception to discharge added in 2005 as subsection (B) for private student loans, no doubt because it could not prove that the loans were “qualified education loans” under the Internal Revenue Code. IRS Code § 221(d)(1) defines qualified education loans as indebtedness incurred solely to pay qualified higher education expenses and as not including expenses for any other purpose.

Rollpin

Immaculata, Who Are You?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good for him. The modern "education" establishment is predatory and while this case may not be an instance of that behavior, I'd like to see more people realize the lack of value in many degrees. More importantly, the overvaluation of most degrees. Very few degrees are remotely worth the modern cost of them.

perfor8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good for him. The modern "education" establishment is predatory and while this case may not be an instance of that behavior, I'd like to see more people realize the lack of value in many degrees. More importantly, the overvaluation of most degrees. Very few degrees are remotely worth the modern cost of them.
Would have been "gooder" for him to realize the lack of value before signing a contract and then weaseling out of it. He wasn't coerced into signing, it was voluntary, and therefore not predatory.

Latest posts

Top Bottom