Veteran PX and commissary privledges ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garytx

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I guess I'm out again. I don't have a VA card and was told that the wife and I make too much money (even in retirement) to qualify. And, since I don't have a service related disability, I don't get to get one that way either.

But, that is OK with me. I've seen too many other veterans that need VA assistance for medical, so it is good if they are getting treatment.

Not sure when you were told you make too much money. You might; but may still be able to get a VA card for on-base goods.

Here is the latest I found: VA eliminates net worth as Veteran health care eligibility factor - VAntage Point

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure when you were told you make too much money. You might; but may still be able to get a VA card for on-base goods.

Here is the latest I found: VA eliminates net worth as Veteran health care eligibility factor - VAntage Point
I would advise folks reading that link to read the comments included.
You can buy anything the BX carries and more except guns online once your verified if you're not close to a military base. You can also register with the Veterans Canteen service, and GovX that are available for veterans.
As always, compare to other online sources for sales.
Unless it's changed recently on-base access to the BX and commissary are only available by those with service-connected disabilities. There are RV parks for travelers on base as well that require the same service-connected requirement to be used.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Thanks, but I looked at that link and decided that I still wouldn't likely apply. That was changed in 2015 (or at least that write-up was) and I was told in 2017 that we made too much. I think it was paragraph 4 that referred to no longer considering assets, but "gross household income" was still a factor in determining eligibility.

leemozoid

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I registered at Altus I went to the visitors center, showed my DL and VA card. Fill out a form and they'll do a background check. They'll register your VA card and you're all done. You can shop anywhere on base and use many of the other facilities. And, yes, you can buy guns at the BX. I've bought several at Altus and even Ft Sill.

Once your ID is in the system it'll get you on just about any installation. I use mine at Ft Sill pretty frequently for medical appts and just for shopping at the BX...mostly for guns. :)

If you're married, you can usually take your wife on base. She won't be allowed to purchase anything herself but she can accompany you. Unless they're having a 100% ID check at the gate. The may not let her on in that case. That's what I was told at Altus, anyway. We haven't had any issues yet.
At Sill they issued my wife a 1 year visitor hard card ID. At Tinker we still have to check in at visitor control for a 2 day paper pass. We haven't tried anywhere else. Mostly I visit the Class VI for bourbon that I can't find in reatil stores. How are the Class VI in other places like Altus or Vance?

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They do have good beef cuts at Tinker but the wife and I rarely go anymore due to the prices being slightly higher than most outside stores. I found you can't beat Aldi's prices on most things. The produce at Tinker Commissary is expensive compared to Aldi.
Since they came up with the weaving entry at the gates, I don't go on base much unless there is really a sale or something else I might want.
One thing I might add is MWR, they have a lot of tools a guy normally wouldn't buy that they rent. like a stump grinder. I rented one once and it took maybe a half hour to take a stump down and I returned it within the time frame...I think the total cost was $35.00. Some of you guys might want to check into MWR to save a few bucks.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
8hrs? 40 MPH or a wagon? JK, Anyway, there's one in McAlester, Tulsa, Enid (Vance AFB), and Camp Gruber. In TX, there's Dallas, Ft Worth, and Red River Depot (Hooks).

Go here to find them:
https://www.mystore411.com/store/list_state/3030/Oklahoma/AAFES-Exchange-store-locationshttps://www.mystore411.com/store/list_state/3030/Texas/AAFES-Exchange-store-locations
Well I usually stay around 55-60 and bypass turnpikes. McAlester aap is actually not in McAlester but south near Savannah. I'll have to ask my friend that works there if it's worth the drive. Still a 2 hour round trip. Muscogee is 100 miles away

Latest posts

Top Bottom