Veteran PX and commissary privledges ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
More out of curiosity than anything else I'm thinking about (if I'm allowed) going to Tinker AFB in OKC to the PX and commissary to look around.........possible (?) qualifier, I'm a honorably discharged U.S. Army Vietnam veteran rated as 70% disabled by the VA.

Are veterans that are not retired and not currently active military allowed on base to use the PX and commissary ?

I carry my VA card and a copy of my DD214 in my wallet all the time.......is that enough documentation to get me in the gate or prior to going do I need to apply for some sort of gate pass and sticker for my vehicle ?

For those that have been how do prices of things compare to off base ?

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I registered at Altus I went to the visitors center, showed my DL and VA card. Fill out a form and they'll do a background check. They'll register your VA card and you're all done. You can shop anywhere on base and use many of the other facilities. And, yes, you can buy guns at the BX. I've bought several at Altus and even Ft Sill.

Once your ID is in the system it'll get you on just about any installation. I use mine at Ft Sill pretty frequently for medical appts and just for shopping at the BX...mostly for guns. :)

If you're married, you can usually take your wife on base. She won't be allowed to purchase anything herself but she can accompany you. Unless they're having a 100% ID check at the gate. The may not let her on in that case. That's what I was told at Altus, anyway. We haven't had any issues yet.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The big advantage price-wise is you won't pay sales tax. Generally the prices at the BX aren't really that competitive on most things...until sales tax is figured in. If you're buying a $5 item it probably doesn't matter. But when you're talking about a gun that might be $1k, it makes a big difference. They do have regular sales on guns...like 10% a particular brand...thruout the year.

I don't find the commissary to be any less expensive than WalMart on groceries. They generally carry only name brands, tho there is a store brand available now for certain things called "Freedom's Choice". I buy the K-cup coffee...$19.98 for 80 K-cups. Not too bad and it's pretty good coffee.

You don't pay sales tax on groceries at the commissary but you will pay a 5% surcharge on everything. It's a surcharge used to maintain facilities and build new ones.

The BX and commissary at Altus get very little traffic and are NEVER crowded since it's such a small installation. Even the BX at Ft Sill is rarely crowded. I haven't been in the Ft Sill commissary.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I guess I'm out again. I don't have a VA card and was told that the wife and I make too much money (even in retirement) to qualify. And, since I don't have a service related disability, I don't get to get one that way either.

But, that is OK with me. I've seen too many other veterans that need VA assistance for medical, so it is good if they are getting treatment.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
The big advantage price-wise is you won't pay sales tax. Generally the prices at the BX aren't really that competitive on most things...until sales tax is figured in. If you're buying a $5 item it probably doesn't matter. But when you're talking about a gun that might be $1k, it makes a big difference. They do have regular sales on guns...like 10% a particular brand...thruout the year.

I don't find the commissary to be any less expensive than WalMart on groceries. They generally carry only name brands, tho there is a store brand available now for certain things called "Freedom's Choice". I buy the K-cup coffee...$19.98 for 80 K-cups. Not too bad and it's pretty good coffee.

You don't pay sales tax on groceries at the commissary but you will pay a 5% surcharge on everything. It's a surcharge used to maintain facilities and build new ones.

The BX and commissary at Altus get very little traffic and are NEVER crowded since it's such a small installation. Even the BX at Ft Sill is rarely crowded. I haven't been in the Ft Sill commissary.
The all vets change came only a few years ago. It started out with AAFES online and then opened up. Every post is different; I think some rules are up to the post commander and the Provost Marshal. A buddy of mine registered on post, could use everything, except get guns and commissary priveleges - but now he can he told me.

As far as commissary prices, the big advantage is Milk, Meat, and Eggs like it always has been...Coffee too. Everything else is about the same.

Maverick1125

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm glad you posted this. I called Tinker AB visitor center and they said all I need to do to get on base is to bring in my VA card and DL. I haven't been on base since 1995

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input fellas........I think I'll run out to Tinker one day next week and take a look at the PX and commissary.

Latest posts

Top Bottom