Vietnam Era Bowie Knives

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I should have kept mine but passed it on per a tradition we had over there at the time. A long range recon NCO gave it to me when I arrived in country. An Australian intel warrant officer gave me the Browning Hi Power. I passed them both on when I left just before Tet 68. I was told I would be back in country within 18 months. 18 months later I was reassigned to Verona, Italy. Such was life in the Army. I did pick up a Kabar shortly after returning. I guess I missed it. Still have that one.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Early whenthe Vietnam Conflict started (that's what they called it then), guys used to take their own sidearm from the states to wear and use in Vietnam. Some troops took captured weapons back to the states. Anyone here know Larry Poteet? I last saw him in the snack bar at Vung Tau in '67. I'd be willing to bet he's a member.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What did those Bowen knives cost in Vietnam back Then? I know you could buy a self-winding Seiiko watch for $18.00 at the PX-if you were first in line. Funny thing, when you got in a Vietnamese worker would ask for your ID and I'd tell them "you think I'd be here if I didn't have an ID." Or something to that effect is thought it was kind of stupid because we wouldn't be in Vietnam without being ordered. Remember the exchange convoys that were ambushed enroute to base and we couldn't buy a camera etc but they were downtown on the Black-market? Still with PX stickers?

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I spent 54 months in iraq and Afghanistan with the 101st Airborne Division (AASLT), The Vietnam Veterans would come to the 101st reunions every year and let me tell you, their stories made ours seem PG-13 in many ways. The public support I received was and still is wonderful, our Vietnam Veterans did not receive this support upon returning home many times. Thank you fellas, you all are amazing and an inspiration to today's fighters.!!

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You guys crack me up with your "Old War Stories" I've been to places in the woods of South Carolina you've never heard of.
Maybe so, BUT you are a Marine!!!!! Your brother Joel tells stories of your love for the Corps. Good on ya man, that is the way it is supposed to be in my eyes!!

CorpsVet

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I spent 54 months in iraq and Afghanistan with the 101st Airborne Division (AASLT), The Vietnam Veterans would come to the 101st reunions every year and let me tell you, their stories made ours seem PG-13 in many ways. The public support I received was and still is wonderful, our Vietnam Veterans did not receive this support upon returning home many times. Thank you fellas, you all are amazing and an inspiration to today's fighters.!!
Thank you for the recognition, and thanks for your service.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would love to get 1 story from each of you Vets, and put in a book. You guys are Special in every since of the word. Back on topic. my best friend bought me a Western Bowies for my 16th birthday. I cut an Arkansas Razorback pig's head off with it and it stained my blade.lol

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll bet some of you here might remember the latrines we had in Vietnam, 55 gallon oil drums cut in half shoved under the "pilot's seat" and when they were full the local Vietnamese dung worker would pour kerosene over the "remains" and burn the crap. The smell was horrible and there were flakes of whatever they were floating down from the sky as they were burning the feces. Those outhouses smelled terrible!

Latest posts

Top Bottom