Vietnam Era Bowie Knives

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll bet some of you here might remember the latrines we had in Vietnam, 55 gallon oil drums cut in half shoved under the "pilot's seat" and when they were full the local Vietnamese dung worker would pour kerosene over the "remains" and burn the crap. The smell was horrible and there were flakes of whatever they were floating down from the sky as they were burning the feces. Those outhouses smelled terrible!
Wow, you had it nice. Our "local dung workers" were us and we used diesel started with JP-4.

Such a big-to-do about 'burn pits' these days, yet we had the same thing in Vietnam and absolutely no one raised questions, then or now, about toxicity or health problems. As usual, the VA, the politicians, the environmentalist, and the American people just didn't and don't give a damn.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No the politicians don't care one whit about those of us in the military for the most part. But they'll send us and our kids off to war in a heartbeat and if we die, no big deal, it's like the thought process of Benghazi when Obama and Hillary lied and very, very little was said about the loss of four men who were far better than both Obama and Hillary. I'm still seething about that loss and that they got by with it and no politician mentioned it as I remember. The politicians take care of one thing and that is themselves. When we were in the military we had some honor among us it was God, Country and Self last. With politicians it is Self, Party, Country and God last.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No the politicians don't care one whit about those of us in the military for the most part. But they'll send us and our kids off to war in a heartbeat and if we die, no big deal, it's like the thought process of Benghazi when Obama and Hillary lied and very, very little was said about the loss of four men who were far better than both Obama and Hillary. I'm still seething about that loss and that they got by with it and no politician mentioned it as I remember. The politicians take care of one thing and that is themselves. When we were in the military we had some honor among us it was God, Country and Self last. With politicians it is Self, Party, Country and God last.
I would bet that our politicians would not be so eager to send our warrior/children to war if THEY had a little 'skin' in the game as well.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I read that VP Pence has a son in the Mideast as we post... If he does, that is commendable and no credit to Joe Biden, but Bo Biden was int he Mideast also. But who knows what kind of rear echelon job either has...? As I've ogtten older, I've gotten more cynical about our "honest politicians who are looking out for us."

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The VP's boy is a 1st LT in the Marine Corps and is an Aviator fixed wing type. I do not know what he flys, but he was stationed in Mississippi for training and I believe I recall an f-18 Super Hornet Driver. I forget the facts, but he certainly is a Marine Corps Aviator.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

lasher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carried a Kabar and a Walther PP, or Browning Hi Power in Vietnam. Lot of history behind that old knife. Still have one I used as a camp knife when I elk hunted. They were hard to hide in civvies which was my usual uniform.
https://www.kabar.com/most-famous-knife
View attachment 106564

i carried a kabar on my left hip, 1911 on the right - when i wasn't carrying an M14 with bayonet on left hip and 4 mags on a pistol belt, 1 mag in the well

Latest posts

Top Bottom