1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

views when relisting ads

Discussion in 'Help Forum' started by Pokinfun, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Pokinfun

Pokinfun Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Why does the number of views reset to zero when you relist an ad? I would rather see the total number of views my item has had, or an item I may buy. The number of tire kickers that have viewed the ad and not purchased an item would effect the price I would be asking or offering. Also, being able to compare my similar item to someone else's item would give me an opinion about how much to ask. May be a checkbox to reset the views for the OP could be an option.
    Also, when you search for an item, a column with the number views would be helpful.

2. NikatKimber

NikatKimber Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Rating
    100%
    I don't personally care for the "Relist" option. In addition to what you say, it also removes any responses to the ad; and any information in those replies is lost with them. IE, pictures, info, prices.

3. Pokinfun

Pokinfun Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    think being able to bump it every week is better.

MacFromOK likes this.
  4. DRC458

DRC458 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Amen. "Relist" sucks.

5. Timmy59

Timmy59 Marksman

Bump, bump, bump, bump and a bump for good measure..

6. Perplexed

Perplexed Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Can the relist option be done away with for these reasons?

7. Okuma Steve

Okuma Steve Crocodylus Pontifex Staff Member Administrator

It doesn't really reset, it just creates a whole new thread and moves the old one to the "trash pile." Trying to keep the views from the previous ad would require some additional coding to be done. I'm fine with paying for it if it's something a lot of people want to see.

If you have to bump something weekly maybe try lowering the price? :D

The system we run here was originally designed for a site that has a busier classifieds section than we do, and it was beneficial to have a new ad created than just bump the old one because of the volume of stuff being posted. Your item would get buried quickly, and if it was a bump system instead of a chronological system then you could never be sure you saw everything because so many posts were being created. That's all to say that our system may be a little over-built for our site but I think it's benefits outweigh its faults.

There are a few things I can adjust, one is the time between relists. I can extend it to five days to help keep ads around a little longer. It's not much but it's something I can adjust easily. I'll also say relisting is optional, you can keep your old ad around for up to 45 days before it gets closed automatically if you want to.

8. DRC458

DRC458 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I, for one, would certainly like to see it. Not only as a seller (I sell very little), but also as a potential buyer. I'd like to see the entire ad remain intact when it is re-listed.

9. Pokinfun

Pokinfun Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I think setting the price was my point, it would depend on the number of views compared to a like item's price, views, and time it took to sell. I know you were being sarcastic or kidding about lowering the price.
    An item used for deer hunting may need to be bumped/relisted for several months before there is a demand for it.
    I'm not sure extending the time between relists would be helpful.