Vintage/antique sharpening stones

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
image.jpeg
Was given a great gift this week. My MIL's boyfriend brought this gem to me, knowing that I prefer stones over mechanical sharpeners. It appears to be an old Norton and I'm guessing it is from at least the 50's, and possibly way older than that based on the heavy cast iron base. The stones are all in great shape with no cracks or even chips, and only slightly worn from light use. Not that I will ever sell it, but was wondering if anyone knows the age and value of a piece like this?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nice find. Don't have a clue about the value, but it's just like the one on the counter of the old time hardware store we would visit when I was a kid. It was available for anybody to use, and it got used a lot evidently because the stones were scalloped out severely.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 59738 Was given a great gift this week. My MIL's boyfriend brought this gem to me, knowing that I prefer stones over mechanical sharpeners. It appears to be an old Norton and I'm guessing it is from at least the 50's, and possibly way older than that based on the heavy cast iron base. The stones are all in great shape with no cracks or even chips, and only slightly worn from light use. Not that I will ever sell it, but was wondering if anyone knows the age and value of a piece like this?

standard answer is what someone is willing to give .. here's a new version for $173 on amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Norton-IM313-11-5-Sharpening-System/dp/B0001MSA72

an old style like yours came up on craigslist .. seller wanted $75 and would not bulge so I passed.
I've seen them come up at gun shows for $50 range

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
an old style like yours came up on craigslist .. seller wanted $75 and would not bulge so I passed.
I've seen them come up at gun shows for $50 range[/QUOTE]

Really? If the stones were in this good of shape on an old one like this, I'd have given $75 in a heartbeat.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've seen them come up at gun shows for $50 range

Really? If the stones were in this good of shape on an old one like this, I'd have given $75 in a heartbeat.[/QUOTE]

everyone is different hence why comment about it's worth what someone is willing to pay. since I've already got a butt load of stones all different sizes/grits. above stone set would be more cool factor vs function for me. also another reason I passed was the stones in the set on craigslist for $75 was in horrible condition. vs the sets I've seen at gun shows for $50 range were in great condition.

it's pretty much the same pricing simi-rare tools that don't come up for sale that often. but they do come up .. and why it's hard to price.

ebay is a good indicator for top pricing .. a national search on craigslist is sometimes more accurate.

edit: after doing a ebay search .. new IM313 are going for $200 range .. so $75 for a supercool early version with perfect stones would be easily worth that. there's several IM313 used selling for $80 range with lightly worn stones. key to doing proper research is deciding correct part number (IM313)

Last edited:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nice looking set up.. I like stones.
Yes.... what one is willing to give.
Year 1987.. I had a 1964 4 door Impala with 283 and power glide.. it was a 4 door not a dent in any chrome.. all hub caps were there and original.
Only issue was interior was worn out and engine was locked up from sitting for 15 years.
All electrical and lights worked fine.

I could not sell it for 80 bucks..I could not even sell a piece of chrome off of it.. No one wanted it or any part off of it. she Went to the crusher.

yea wish i had it now.. would not matter if it was a 4 door now as almost all of them are gone.

Keep that stone in a safe place so it does not hit the floor.

lasher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i garage sale binged from time to time when i lived in little rock, i found many very nice arkansas stones for less than 10 bucks, i kept the best 3, saw a sharpening wheel that had been renovated, must have been at least 3' diameter, solid arkansas stone, guy hooked up a bicycle to turn the wheel with the bicycle sprocket and pedals, must have been 5" wide, couple of pedals and you had a shaving knife very quickly. antique store in greely colorado had it, and would not sell it

Latest posts

Top Bottom