Vintage/old powder can value

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Today I visited with a man I know who has two of the old 3 pound kegs of powder, one is Red Dot in a red keg and the other is Universal in a gray keg.

He said both are probably around 1985 vintage and both are un-opened, plus they both have the paper labels still intact and both kegs are in really good condition.

I’m not wanting to see if the powders are still useable but am wondering what they’re worth. I’ve been reloading since the late 80’s and this is the first time I’ve ever seen a keg, other than in a John Wayne movie.

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’d be tickled if I could buy 3 lbs of fresh powder for $23.

I’m kind of curious to see what the powder its self looks like, years ago I had some IMR 4350 in a 1 lb tin that just turned to dust.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had some 2400 in a tin and still have some H4350 in a tin and it is still good powder.
Way different burn rate than the newer stuff Heck the H4350 does not even look the same at all.
One is grey and long stick and the other is short and green sticks.

I love red dot powder I would open it and smell and look and then make some loads and shoot them.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve had a couple of #30 pound kegs of green dot and red dot. They were cardboard though. The guy I gave them to is still using them. I gave them away because I didn’t have good storage capabilities for cardboard

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’d be tickled if I could buy 3 lbs of fresh powder for $23.

I’m kind of curious to see what the powder its self looks like, years ago I had some IMR 4350 in a 1 lb tin that just turned to dust.
I wonder what caused that 4350 to turn to dust? Moisture?
Back when I started reloading in 1980, IMR 4350 was my go to powder for 30-06. Still have a couple partial tins of it.
At that time, a lot of that powder was surplus from WWII that had been reblended from other powders. Once it was gone Hodgen started manufacturing of the new powder we have now.
For historical purposes, the IMR stands for Improved Military Rifle.

Improved military rifle propellants are tubular nitrocellulose propellants evolved from World War I through World War II for loading military and commercial ammunition and sold to civilians for reloading rifle ammunition for hunting and target shooting. These propellants were DuPont modifications of United States artillery propellants.[1] DuPont miniaturized the large artillery grains to form military rifle propellants suitable for use in small arms. These were improved during the first world war to be more efficient in rimless military cartridges replacing earlier rimmed rifle cartridges. Four-digit numbers identified experimental propellants, and a few successful varieties warranted extensive production by several manufacturers. Some were used almost exclusively for military contracts, or commercial ammunition production, but a few have been distributed for civilian use in handloading.[2] Improved military rifle propellants are coated with dinitrotoluene (DNT) to slow initial burning and graphite to minimize static electricity during blending and loading. They contain 0.6% diphenylamine as a stabilizer and 1% potassium sulfate to reduce muzzle flash.[3]

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Nope no moisture as I’ve always kept my powders in a closet in my house. I went to load up some cases and poured some in a powder trickler and it was just dust.

I always wondered if it reacted with the metal tin and rusted on the inside of the can.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back when I started reloading in 1980, IMR 4350 was my go to powder for 30-06. Still have a couple partial tins of it.
At that time, a lot of that powder was surplus from WWII that had been reblended from other powders. Once it was gone Hodgen started manufacturing of the new powder we have now.
For historical purposes, the IMR stands for Improved Military Rifle.

Improved military rifle propellants are tubular nitrocellulose propellants evolved from World War I through World War II for loading military and commercial ammunition and sold to civilians for reloading rifle ammunition for hunting and target shooting. These propellants were DuPont modifications of United States artillery propellants.[1] DuPont miniaturized the large artillery grains to form military rifle propellants suitable for use in small arms. These were improved during the first world war to be more efficient in rimless military cartridges replacing earlier rimmed rifle cartridges. Four-digit numbers identified experimental propellants, and a few successful varieties warranted extensive production by several manufacturers. Some were used almost exclusively for military contracts, or commercial ammunition production, but a few have been distributed for civilian use in handloading.[2] Improved military rifle propellants are coated with dinitrotoluene (DNT) to slow initial burning and graphite to minimize static electricity during blending and loading. They contain 0.6% diphenylamine as a stabilizer and 1% potassium sulfate to reduce muzzle flash.[3]
I have 3 one lb cans (same lot) of IMR-4227 powder from about 1980. Very accurate in the 2 pistols (41 mag and 221 FB) I use it for . It says Improved Military Rifle Powder in big letters on front of the can.

Latest posts

Top Bottom