Vintage S&W revolver thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zipty6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And I'd welcome any suggestions on revolver matinence or if I should mod it... its original as far as I know. (Not 100% on the hogue grips though)

That's a really nice J frame. Nickel can be difficult to photograph well.

I agree with @dlbleak - Fitz polish and lots of patience. use your fingers and an old t-shirt. Avoid the temptation to use a dremel or a buffing wheel. I'd probably switch to wood grips as well.

granite guy charles

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think im going to order some nills grips. I used to order my hk p7 and p7m8 grips from the US distributor (mactech if I recall). Unless you know of something similar in quality without the $200 dent in my wallet.

Last edited:

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I think im going to order some nills grips. I used to order my hk p7 and p7m8 grips from the US distributor (mactech if I recall). Unless you know of something similar in quality without the $200 dent in my wallet.
I cruise eBay for factory wood grips at a good price. I may or may not have a dozen or so sets around. I keep them for situations like yours. You gun is worthy of discussion though. The frame says mod 36 with no dash number behind it but doesn’t have a pinned barrel. The model numbers were not stamped on s& was until 1957. That year they designated that gun the model 36. It was the 36 until 1967 and then it became the 36-1. I think they forgot to stamp the - number on it. If you play with smiths for many years, you’ll find cases of mistamped guns.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
0977D67C-17F5-4D88-8405-E04974B50F66.jpeg

zipty6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I cruise eBay for factory wood grips at a good price. I may or may not have a dozen or so sets around. I keep them for situations like yours. You gun is worthy of discussion though. The frame says mod 36 with no dash number behind it but doesn’t have a pinned barrel. The model numbers were not stamped on s& was until 1957. That year they designated that gun the model 36. It was the 36 until 1967 and then it became the 36-1. I think they forgot to stamp the - number on it. If you play with smiths for many years, you’ll find cases of mistamped guns.

I may be wrong, but I believe that they made the Model 36 (no dash) and 36-1 concurrently until 1988. The no-dash had the tapered barrel and the -1 had the heavy barrel. If I am reading the book correctly, they alternated the dash numbers on the 36 for tapered/heavy barrels until the change to MIM & the J magnum frame with the 36-9 in 1996.

This Model 36 (no dash) with a serial number dating it to 1982 was made after the barrel pin was eliminated:
36a3SM.jpg

A square butt 36 no-dash, also from 1982. Unfortunately I had to sell this one in a time of duress.
36SQa2SM.jpg

This is a heavy barrel model 36-1 from 1983. Sadly, it got away from me also:
36-1.JPG

zipty6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I also keep an eye out for nice factory grips on ebay. If I catch set at a good price I'll buy them for the exact same reason.

zipty6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
S&W has been pretty inconsistent over the years. It's hard to be certain of many things. (Note the many "hedges" in my previous post.) The one that I think amuses me most is the model 30 & 31. For some reason, Smith & Wesson decided to give different model numbers to the round butt and square butt versions of the same gun.

The model 30 is a round butt:
30-1b1SM.jpg

the model 31 is a square butt:
31-1b10SM.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom