Vintage vice 2 finished and vice 3 ready to move ahead

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man those look better than when they were new. You do excellent work.
I have a 4” craftsman from the early 50’s that was left outside for years and rusted pretty badly, but it was free. I cleaned it up and use it almost everyday.. the swivel was broken so I bolted it to a 1” piece of oak which clamps to my workbench. I could use another one but they are hard to find and when you do find them They are expensive.

View attachment 233068View attachment 233071
With an appropriately sized lathe and mill, you could make a replacement swivel base easily. With a drill press, hack saws, files and such, you could still make one, not quite so easily. ;)

Building my own desktop machine (mostly) shop here. Got a few more things to build or buy myself...

It is a nice job, btw. I've got a little 3"? Craftsman vise on a cobbled together metal workbench that has been sitting outside for some months that will be coming back in today after I cleared space for it in another room in the house. I have the former garage, and former back porch for my workshop/office/clothes closet, reloading bench, and toybox.

Bill

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here’s one I would like to get some history on. My grandfather was an auctioneer who lived in Gramby MO on a farm where my great-great grandparents lived. My grandmother was born on the farm. My auctioneer grandfather retired in the 1970s and moved to Neosho MO. He had such a vast variety of things that he sold when he moved. He would purchase items from his auctions if the stuff wasn’t selling for a good price, so he had a lot of stuff and I was a very young kid and didn’t really know what he had.

What I do know is that I was given his vice and a nice tool that was used to separate the rooster’s head from the body for Sunday dinners. My great grandmother would always make chicken and dumplings for the dinners with freshly gathered greens from the side of the country roads.

So here’s a couple images of the vice. Anyone know anything about this one?

FCCDCBAB-B683-43E3-86CD-F9AE29710525.jpeg

D5C593B5-D0B5-4D55-B500-4E42E45B06A1.jpeg
8D7B6A9C-F37F-48FD-A889-97965A8403E4.jpeg

And here’s the head remover:

F07B6BB7-D15A-40FD-B0E4-CB7B01F02FF8.jpeg

BillM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Daggonit! Now I gotta dig out my old blacksmith post vice and find out the manufacturer.
Near as I can tell, mine isn't marked. Parts of it look hand-forged, so it may be shop-made. It's also missing the spring. And I got the little workbench with my Craftsman vise moved back in the house today. It's a 3-1/2" vise. Hasn't been shiny and new for a long time, but it still works just fine.

Bill

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here’s one I would like to get some history on. My grandfather was an auctioneer who lived in Gramby MO on a farm where my great-great grandparents lived. My grandmother was born on the farm. My auctioneer grandfather retired in the 1970s and moved to Neosho MO. He had such a vast variety of things that he sold when he moved. He would purchase items from his auctions if the stuff wasn’t selling for a good price, so he had a lot of stuff and I was a very young kid and didn’t really know what he had.

What I do know is that I was given his vice and a nice tool that was used to separate the rooster’s head from the body for Sunday dinners. My great grandmother would always make chicken and dumplings for the dinners with freshly gathered greens from the side of the country roads.

So here’s a couple images of the vice. Anyone know anything about this one?

View attachment 233169
View attachment 233170View attachment 233171

And here’s the head remover:

View attachment 233172
I can't read the writing on the vice. Can you send me all the markings and numbers?

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like old vises, have several floating around, interesting to see how ridiculous Wilton pricing is the days on the old ones. Neighbor has her Dad's baby bullet on a bench in their garage, it's mine whenever I decide to get it, just feel odd about taking it.

I'm surprised after 2 pages no one asked about this, maybe you've covered it before but what are the details on the truck?

Attachments

• copy1_LI.jpg
    copy1_LI.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 55

Latest posts

Top Bottom