Vintage vice restoration done

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Picked up a vintage Milwaukee 3 3/4 inch swivil anvil vice that was beat to heck. The person I bought it from gave me the impression it was in a bit better shape than it was but that's ok. I was fine with it. More fun restoring. No removable jaws but I could tap for a pair if I need. Right now it's ok.
Used self etching primer that I wasn't crazy about. I would suggest a coat of the self etching, sand, bake at 150 for an hour then another coat, sand and bake for an hour. You can then do the same with the top coats without the sanding. Like I said, it said the acid etching in the primer would do, but not so sure. I'll have to beat the hell out of it a few times then I'll know.
I had never restored a vice before but since I'm building a work bench (12 foot wide 28" wide) in my work building I thought this would look good. Need two small vices and I'll put the a couple of feet off each end.
Anyway, never did a vice restoration and watched a bunch of YT vids on how to do it and then just did it the way I wanted to. Ha. Ground down to bare metal and smoothed out the milling marks. I stuck in the house with some crap attached so I have to be near my internet for 7 days. This is a great way to cook away some time.

Attachments

• Vice old.jpg
    Vice old.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 90
  • Vice done 1.JPG
    Vice done 1.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 86
  • Vice done 2.JPG
    Vice done 2.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 84
  • Vice done 3.JPG
    Vice done 3.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 76

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Sooooo you make it all pretty ............ so you can beat heck out of it!! Alrighty then!! 😂
Looks great SF enjoy beating it back up!! I have a Wilton that looks its age other than it is well cleaned and lubed and operates like a dream. Had a cheap one before this thing, glad I got the Wilton at the price I got it for(free) and I will take good care of it but unless I cannot find anything thing else to do, which is not likely, paint is not in its future.:cool:

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sooooo you make it all pretty ............ so you can beat heck out of it!! Alrighty then!! 😂
Looks great SF enjoy beating it back up!! I have a Wilton that looks its age other than it is well cleaned and lubed and operates like a dream. Had a cheap one before this thing, glad I got the Wilton at the price I got it for(free) and I will take good care of it but unless I cannot find anything thing else to do, which is not likely, paint is not in its future.:cool:
It was restore this or have long meaningful conversations with my wife and watch lifetime. It wasn't close.

Latest posts

Top Bottom