Vinyl Plank Flooring

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just got two boxes of planks today. Enough to do my front door entry way and then some. I will see how the project goes to see if I want to continue. There is currently some 1970’s vibe tile I gotta knock out before I can start laying down the vinyl. Wish me luck. And I hope my foundation is level. Don’t really want to do a lot of leveling.
Good luck. I’ve taken out a lot of tile. Usually it’s not too bad but the one house that was, from the 70s. Ended up renting the biggest tile busting machine available and still it was difficult. Whatever they used was as strong as the concrete beneath. Never seen anything like it. Should have hired it out and watched them go through hell.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good luck. I’ve taken out a lot of tile. Usually it’s not too bad but the one house that was, from the 70s. Ended up renting the biggest tile busting machine available and still it was difficult. Whatever they used was as strong as the concrete beneath. Never seen anything like it. Should have hired it out and watched them go through hell.
Yep that is one reason we have not tried to do our entry hall. That tile has been down since the 70s and shows no signs of turning loose.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Forgot to post these before, middle, and after photos. Laying it was easy. Tearing out the tile and thinset was the hardest. I ended up buying a Milwaukee hammer drill with chisel attachment to tear the thinset out.

090704CA-AA34-46CC-A139-0C1246809388.jpeg
18F9CA8D-5366-4C0F-B6C3-A144F44994F9.jpeg
809C762D-3626-4634-AF1E-E2DACDD73FCF.jpeg

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think I’m about to take the dive and start replacing the tile and carpet in my house with vinyl plank. Question for anyone that has done it in an open floor plan house:

do you add transition strips when entering another room of the house even if you’re using the same color floor. I’ll be doing my living room but didn’t know if I should just carry the floor over into the dining room and kitchen or add a transition strip along that border (there’s no wall or doorway) to make it easier for install.

Should I Keep planks running the same way too after a transition or run opposite way to kind of break up the room a little bit? Was thinking of running planks in living room North and South but when I go down hallway to the bedrooms run the planks East and West with a transition strip at start of hallway. Same way with dining room and kitchen, run planks East and west.

Bedrooms are going to stay carpet. Let me know your thoughts OSA. I have never done flooring before.
I did it, kept the planks moving the same direction, it is tough depending on the lay out, and cleaning the floor is really important if you are using the peel and stick. I laid about 800 square foot of it , kitchen, dining and walk way, I don‘t know about changing directions I had trouble in the entry way too but it looked ok

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Water and a sprayer makes tile removal much easier spray it down let it soak and spray again before you start and during removal how i was taught

Latest posts

Top Bottom