Vinyl Plank Flooring

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I think I’m about to take the dive and start replacing the tile and carpet in my house with vinyl plank. Question for anyone that has done it in an open floor plan house:

do you add transition strips when entering another room of the house even if you’re using the same color floor. I’ll be doing my living room but didn’t know if I should just carry the floor over into the dining room and kitchen or add a transition strip along that border (there’s no wall or doorway) to make it easier for install.

Should I Keep planks running the same way too after a transition or run opposite way to kind of break up the room a little bit? Was thinking of running planks in living room North and South but when I go down hallway to the bedrooms run the planks East and West with a transition strip at start of hallway. Same way with dining room and kitchen, run planks East and west.

Bedrooms are going to stay carpet. Let me know your thoughts OSA. I have never done flooring before.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I love my vinyl plank flooring. Transition strips are not necessary unless you are going to a different level, even by a fraction of an inch. Then, yes, use them. I would also agree to run the strips in the same direction.

Engineman1960

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A suggestion:

Dry fit your planks (strips) before you start, I believe most installations read to start in the center of the room, but if you dry fit you can see how your clearance to the walls; instead of having 3” tile next to the walls., by changing your center line you might be able to have full tiles against your walls. It also gives you an opportunity to see how straight your walls are.

It also gives you the opportunity to check your patterns as you transition to different rooms.

Your transitions can make or break the look of your flooring job. doorways (closets and rooms), fireplace facade, and carpet. Your attention to those details, prior to the start of the job. can save you some heartache further down the line. Look how others have transitioned, some complex corners, where room doors (bathroom, bedrooms and closets join) meet, where a little frustrating for me.

Take your time and be patient with yourself, you will probably be your harshest critic, There is no reason this can’t be fun and a learning experience !!!!!!

Or you can do what I did and wing it as you go !!!!!!

Good Luck on your Quest !!!!!

Last edited:

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did the whole house. I LOVE it!! So easy to care for and looks great. No problems with lifting -- even in the kitchen or bathrooms.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I left my bedrooms carpet too. The hallway runs north-south and so does the plank, including a dogleg hall to the west. The living room plank all runs east-west. The transition is a stepdown from the hallway into the living. Pleased with appearances.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies guys. I keep running scenarios through my head to see how I’m gonna do it. Once I order the planks and tear out the carpet and tile I guess there is no going back.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am still wanting to do our entry hall to match the living room but can not afford it yet and not sure we can do it. Plus we have to tear up the old tile.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My brother and his wife laid vinyl plank flooring in the house where they're currently living, and it all runs the same direction. I think they were more concerned about making it livable in a hurry than in aesthetics, but it looks fine to me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom