Violence Against Women Act Will Allow Non-Romantic Relationships to Trigger Red Flag Gun Confiscation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"It appears that a “social relationship” that may be “intimate” but not “romantic” falls under the purview of the VAWA as well."

Anybody got any idea what this means.
A neighbor lady texted me a provocative pic of herself. Does that count?

Mr E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, it's been awhile, but isn't the State still giving the middle finger to Red Flag laws?

Last edited:

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
“contained language to expand federal domestic partner laws to include boyfriends and dating partners. The expansion allows the inclusion of gun bans for boyfriends with a domestic violence conviction and also “expands the prohibition to current and former dating partners, as well as those convicted of misdemeanor stalking.”

Seems like you don’t need to worry too much unless your the type that likes to commit violence against women.

Personally, I’ve read enough local new stories about women that are nearly beaten to death or killed by current or former romantic partners that it makes me sick. I can only hope those women will get a firearm and some training because that’s really the only way that issue is going to get solved.

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1st Bice reply:

”Thank you for contacting me to share your views regarding H.R. 1620, the Violence Against Women Reauthorization Act of 2021 (VAWA). It is an honor to represent you in the U.S. Congress and having your perspective helps me to serve you better.
The funding provisions in VAWA are critical to numerous organizations that assist victims of domestic violence in Oklahoma's Fifth Congressional District, including the YWCA of Oklahoma City, the Oklahoma Coalition Against Domestic Violence and Assault, and many others. The pandemic and resulting economic crises have only increased the risk of abuse and the needs of all people who may find themselves in domestic violence situations. VAWA also includes much needed language to ensure that Tribal governments have the tools needed to combat violence and abuse against Native American women and children.
The VAWA reauthorization states that individuals convicted of stalking or violence against a dating partner can be prohibited from obtaining firearms. Although some have raised concerns with this provision, please know that I have always supported Second Amendment rights for law-abiding citizens and that will never change.
The bill also included important new provisions to ensure that Tribal governments have the tools needed to combat violence and abuse against Native American women and children who are, sadly, among the most victimized populations in the United States.
On March 17th, 2021, the House passed VAWA by a vote of 244-172. While I am frustrated that this is not a more bipartisan bill, I supported this legislation because I cannot in good conscience vote to deny domestic assault victims, or the organizations who serve them, the funding they need in favor of partisan politics.
Once again, thank you for contacting me to share your views. Your input helps me to more effectively represent the people of Oklahoma, and though we may disagree on this issue, I look forward to staying in touch. I encourage you to visit my website at www.bice.house.gov and follow me on Twitter and Facebook.”

Sincerely,

bice+sig.png

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bice reply #2

”Thank you for contacting me regarding certain provisions within H.R. 4350, The National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA), which would implement red flag laws in the military. It is an honor to represent you in the U.S. Congress and having your perspective helps me to serve you better.
As you may know, the NDAA is an annual piece of legislation that sets funding levels and policy for our nation’s military. This bill not only funds our military and defense, but provides salary and benefits for our soldiers and retirees. This year's NDAA includes a number of provisions that are important for the security of our country and the wellbeing of our veterans, however, there are some provisions included that I do not support. For example, Section 529 would authorize military judges and magistrates to remove weapons from those serving in the armed forces should they show signs of being a harm to themselves or others. Additionally, Section 513 revises the selective service system to make women eligible for the draft. It is worth noting that these provisions were also part of last year’s NDAA but were removed before President Trump signed the bill into law. This year, House Democrats have included these provisions in the NDAA, but I am confident they will be removed before the bill is signed into law.
On September 23, 2021, the House of Representatives passed the NDAA with broad bipartisan support by a vote of 316-113. Despite the concerning provisions, I supported this legislation to reject President Biden’s efforts to gut our military, to ensure our ability to stand up to Russia and China, and to begin investigations into the Biden Administration’s disastrous Afghanistan withdrawal. I am strongly opposed to red flag laws and to women being eligible for the draft. You may be interested to know that I recently led a letter that was cosigned by 163 of my House colleagues to the Chairmen of the House and Senate Armed Services Committees to have the red flag law provision removed from the final version of the NDAA. Additionally, I opposed the revised selective service provision when it came for a vote in committee and support efforts to have it removed in the final draft of the bill.
Once again, thank you for contacting me to share your views. Your input helps me to more effectively represent the people of Oklahoma, and I look forward to staying in touch. I encourage you to visit my website at www.bice.house.gov and follow me on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook.”

Sincerely,

bice+sig.png

Latest posts

Top Bottom