Virginia- no longer Live Free or Die

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
RICHMOND — Attorney General Mark R. Herring (D) plans to announce Tuesday that Virginia will no longer recognize concealed carry handgun permits from 25 states that have reciprocity agreements with the commonwealth.

The move also means Virginians with a history of stalking, drug dealing or inpatient mental-health treatment cannot obtain a permit in a state with comparatively lax laws and carry a handgun legally at home.

Herring said severing the out-of-state agreements can prevent people who may be dangerous or irresponsible from carrying a concealed weapon.

“To me, this is a commonsense step that can help make Virginians and our law enforcement officers safer by ensuring that Virginia’s laws on who can and cannot carry a concealed handgun are applied evenly, consistently, and fairly,” he said in a statement provided to The Washington Post.

“Our General Assembly has already identified who can and cannot conceal handguns in Virginia, and we cannot have that decision undermined by recognizing permits from other states with more permissive standards.”

Herring’s action could intensify a heated debate in the wake of rampant gun violence and cements his position as a liberal defender of gun control as he seeks a second term. A former state senator, Herring has raised the ire of conservatives for supporting same-sex marriage, abortion rights and immigration reform.

Del. Robert B. Bell III (R-Albemarle), a former state prosecutor, is the only Republican challenging him.

Gun rights advocates have criticized Gov. Terry McAuliffe, Herring and other Democrats for insisting on stronger gun laws after mass shootings in which the assailants obtained their weapons legally or suffered from mental illness. In October, McAuliffe banned firearms in state buildings, earning a rebuke from the National Rifle Association.

[NRA challenges McAuliffe on latest gun control effort]

This year, Herring’s office began a review of reciprocity agreements Virginia has with 30 other states. Attorneys discovered that 25 of those states had concealed handgun permit regulations that were weaker than Virginia’s.

The Virginia Commonwealth has some seriously arcane laws, such as the whole "10-mile over the speed limit is a felony" thing. Now they are ending reciprocity with 25 state for CCW. Oklahoma CC licenses will still be honored, but below is a list that they are no longer honoring. Interestingly enough, they said the reason is that the offending states have too lax requirements for a CCL, doesn't Utah have a mail-in application?

The State Police superintendent accepted Herring’s recommendation to sever agreements with those states, effective Feb. 1, according to Herring’s office.

The states are: Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Dakota, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Washington, Wisconsin and Wyoming.

Agreements will remain with West Virginia, Michigan, Oklahoma, Texas and Utah.

Virginia law lists 20 conditions that would disqualify a person from being issued a concealed carry handgun permit. They include anyone in the United States illegally, subject to a protection from abuse order, or convicted of various criminal charges from drunken driving to assault and battery.

Visitors to Virginia can still obtain a non-resident permit if they meet a separate set of standards set forth in the law.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Live free or die is the motto of New Hampshire.

Virginia's is "Sic Semper Tyrannis" which they don't like to trot out much because of its use in the assassination of Pres Lincoln.
However, maybe it is time to revive the meaning behind it as the motto of free men who will not tolerate an overbearing governmental authority.

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As soon as they trot out the "commonsense" line I'm lost. It's an insulting way to argue.

That's really a very important point. Unfortunately I never gave it much thought before, but it's true. Throwing out "commonsense" really is kind of like trying to play a trump card of some sort. "It's common sense, how could you NOT agree". Highly subjective at best..

Although they did at least point out the real reason is that conceal carry licenses require vastly different processes from state to state.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Whatever -- I don't need permission from any of those scumbags to protect myself and my loved ones. Especially since people like them are the main ones I need to protect myself from.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
That's really a very important point. Unfortunately I never gave it much thought before, but it's true. Throwing out "commonsense" really is kind of like trying to play a trump card of some sort. "It's common sense, how could you NOT agree". Highly subjective at best..

Although they did at least point out the real reason is that conceal carry licenses require vastly different processes from state to state.

It's the same as "it's for the children!!1!!!!!!1!!".

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Whatever -- I don't need permission from any of those scumbags to protect myself and my loved ones. Especially since people like them are the main ones I need to protect myself from.

While I doubt that Mr Herring himself will be attacking you or your children, I see your point.

Latest posts

Top Bottom