Vortex Crossfire II

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve just about settled in on the Vortex Crossfire II 6-18x44 Dead Hold BDC. I’m curious if any of you have this gadget and could tell me your pros and cons? I’ve been sold on Vortex, because of their clarity and warranty, for a while now. However I’d like to feel without a doubt, this is the scope for me. I don’t want to spend over $300, and this one comes in at $240 after tax. The only thing I’ve found against it, is some reviews say it gets a little fuzzy in the higher magnification ranges. Even for this issue I’ve found very few reviews. I’m looking for one for my new Savage 10T-SR in 6.5 CM. I plan to use it hunting, as well as rec shooting, if I can find a range, I’d like to be able to shoot out to 500-600, or even 1000 if the opportunity arises.
Any thoughts on this?

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To cover all your bases and staying in your price range you may want to give this a look see.

If you haven’t used a first focal plane scope before you‘ll find the cross hair smaller on the low power and larger on the higher power. This aids the shooter when holding over or holding off since your sub tensions remain the same throughout the scopes power range.

https://www.eurooptic.com/Athlon-Ar...ide-Focus-30mm-ATMR-FFP-IR-MOA-Riflescop.aspx

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To cover all your bases and staying in your price range you may want to give this a look see.

If you haven’t used a first focal plane scope before you‘ll find the cross hair smaller on the low power and larger on the higher power. This aids the shooter when holding over or holding off since your sub tensions remain the same throughout the scopes power range.

https://www.eurooptic.com/Athlon-Ar...ide-Focus-30mm-ATMR-FFP-IR-MOA-Riflescop.aspx
I’ve heard a lot of good about Athlon. Before I jump in, I’m going to go around and put my hands on a few.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Watch out for those scopes with exposed turrets.
Some you can lock down with an allen set screw and others you can not lock down.

Yes you can raise the cap on some to turn them and others you just turn them and raise the cap to set hash marks to Zero.
I have a Nikon with exposed turrets and I hunt thick woods and must walk through briars etc to get to my spots.

I have been on the walk and look down at the scope and the turrets will not be on Zero.
Not lockable.
3 times it happened and it now sits in a box.
Thanks for a crappy idea on a good hunting scope Nikon.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do have a crossfire II in 3-9 and it has a more finicky eye position than my Nikons in 3-9.
I have had some 20 and 24 power scopes and eye relief is a big issue with me.

I do not want to hunt for eye position that ghosting issue on full power is not fun either especially at dusk.
In the woods hunting I never needed more than 10X
I probably did not need that.
At low light I use the lowest power setting and my Nikon 2.5-10 is very nice for that.

I have had scopes that lowest was 6 power and on my hunting gun it did not stay on there for long.
I suppose it depends on where you hunt.
50 yard shots through a jungle of trees in low light I did not care for it.

I was shooting paper often a couple years ago and took my store bought hunting rifles one in .308 my 30-06 and my .243 and it was 500 yards.
The .243 won the tightest group one day and it has a 3-9x 50 Tasco on it. Those guns all shot under 5" at 500 yards for 3 shots.
Yea 3 shots.. little pencil barrels.
The first shot is the one that counts to me and number 2 and 3 are possibly back up but usually not and if I need shot 4 or 5 I may need to stop hunting that critter and learn to shoot :)
Yea 20 or more power makes it easier to shoot bug holes on paper as we know but you can still do it with lower power scopes.
Which I learned when shooting often with 3-9's at 500 yards

I have had many Tasco scopes and some died and some just keep holding on well.
I am done buying those Tasco's today though.
Last few were all fails.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I have crossfire 2’s on a rock River predator pursuit and a cz 455. After doing a little research on the Athlon, I might have to check one out. Found a pre owned on eBay for 225 and a new one for 249. The 249 one had 43 reviews with a 4.9 out of 5 rating

Last edited:

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve heard a lot of good about Athlon. Before I jump in, I’m going to go around and put my hands on a few.
That would be a good idea. I’ve never looked through one nor do I know how tactile the windage/elevation turrets are. Its an entry level scope that offers a lot but I don’t know if that a lot is average, good, or great.

Latest posts

Top Bottom