Vortex Scope Experiences

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moparman485

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys!
So im looking for anyone who has experience with vortex magnified optics (i have an love their dot style optics, so no problems there), but have never had a magnified one. I am in the middle of finishing a 6.5 creedmoor build and need a budget friendly" optic. I grew up using almost exclusively leupold, but want something higher than 3-9 magnification and frankly cant afford to spend that kind of money with leupold at the moment. I did see that vortex has their crossfire II (not the original one that was discontinued) for a fairly good price. Online i see either "loved it" or "hated it", just like normal haha. Was wondering if any of you guy had any experience with them or other scopes with a similar warranty in the same price range. The one i am looking at is the crossfire II 6-18x44 AO with dead hold objective. I am not "set" on this model, but being as this is my "longer range" hog and deer rifle, i want high magnification. Any help is greatly appreciated!
JB

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have you been to Academy..The one on Walker has a bunch of different scopes mounted on rifle stocks.
You can look through them in store and compare the clarity of all of them side by side.

I looked through some crossfire 2 scopes and Nikon and others and the Nikon the brightness was much better to my eyes.
But could be luck of the draw.

I too hunt for Hogs and other critters and places I hunt can stretch to 2000+ yards.. No I have not shot that far.. well yes I have but I missed.
Here is the deal with my hunting critters..I need the scope to work in low light and I have found sometimes I need very quick acquisition of the target.
Ever walk into the woods and 20 yards out is the critter you need to punch a hole into.
It is a bit harder to get on target at close range with a 6 power than it is with a 3 power.

Not impossible..I practice a lot just for that scenario.
It has came in handy many times.

Head to the stores and start looking through them..I really did not see an advantage to the crossfire2 vs a cheap Trueglow .
In fact the Trueglow was quite bright.
Maybe my eyes are shot or the scopes I handled were shot.

I have a friend that loves Vortex but the Viper line is what he runs and does not really care for the cheaper ones..

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I feel in a "apples to apples" situation Vortex quality and warranty is hard to beat. I've been behind 3 of their 4 "grades" and I think they were all very nice compared to a competitors scope of the same magnification.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was at Banner the other day shooting just before Christmas Zeroing a couple guns I was giving my boys.
One was a 30-30 with Tasco 3-9x40 , one was a Ruger with newer Redfield 3-9x40 and the last was my AR15 with the On sale for 99 bucks Nikon 3-9x40.

There were a few guys there shooting and I did not bother to walk out and pin up a target..so i picked a target with minimal holes in it.
I was looking at the holes using the 30-30 with Tasco scope..
I wrote down on the back of my free target where the holes were that someone else shot.
I busted off 3 rounds and good to go.
Next up was the Ruger.. I looked through the scope and HHHMMM target does not POP out as well. eeehhh I fired a shot and it was very high.. 3".
I adjusted down and i was 1/2" low.. adjusted up ..On the money.. another shot fired..HHHMMM too many holes where did it go.. adjusting to max power and just under it and adjusting focus..HHHMMM can't really see it.

I grab the 30-30 and look through the Tasco... AAAHHHH there it is..Popped right out. very clear.

Ok good enough..I grab the AR and line up.. it is way off.. adjust and it is right in the Bulls eye.. 2 more ..HHHMMM did those hit same place.
Looks like it.. adjust focus and power..AH.. grabbed the 30-30 OH there they are.Tasco trumped the others that day.

I have a Tasco on my .223 Mil dot.. I like it just fine.
My Older model Centerpoint 6-24 trumps the Nikon and the Redfield in clarity at long distance.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=776041

Read that.
Do not be afraid to look through cheaper and more expensive scopes..as you may never know what your eyes like.

My 400 yard impact with the Tasco on my Axis
400 yard .223 axis.jpg
.223 6-24 x42.
I feel I will not benefit from the crossfire and would need to step way up to get any better. But then I realize this is a pencil barrel hunting gun.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Strike Eagle owner here (1-6x). For the money and intended use (range fun and run and guns) I have zero problems with the quality and functionality. I plan on buying another....

ef9turbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All my magnified optics are Vortex Viper PST's. I own two 1-4 and one 2.5x10 FFP. They are great glass for the money and have withstood everything I've thrown at it. I run one on duty as a designated magnified optic and check zero pretty regularly and nothing has shifted. The 2.5x10 is on my 6.5 Grendel with no problems. I ran the 2.5-10 during a designated marksman class a few weeks ago and was banging 8" steel very easy at 500 yards with .223. The glass was one of the clearest in the course, only behind a 1k+ Nightforce.

Vortex is well priced and has a great no questions asked, run that **** over, throw it off a cliff warranty. I would say that the best bang for the buck right now is the Strike Eagle 1-8 which can be had for right around $300.

Latest posts

Top Bottom