W231 and 357 load data discrepancy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Looking at Hogdens load data and Lee load data I am seeing a huge difference in info. Lee says 6.2 start and 6.7 max with cup at 42500.
Hogden says 3.4 start and 5.0 max at 23900 cup.

Lyman gives no info for 231

Any body else have any different info on this combo?

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looking in my Lee book, the data you list from Lee looks like it is listed for a 158xtp. The Hodgen data you show appears to line up with Lees load for a 158 lead bullet. I know I didn't answer your question but maybe you aren't comparing Lee apples to Hodgden apples?

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking in my Lee book, the data you list from Lee looks like it is listed for a 158xtp. The Hodgen data you show appears to line up with Lees load for a 158 lead bullet. I know I didn't answer your question but maybe you aren't comparing Lee apples to Hodgden apples?
I have Lee 2nd edition which has this
upload_2019-2-9_19-42-40.png
upload_2019-2-9_19-42-40.png

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am thinking What I have is a mistake after all the searching I have done . It does show the XTP as well but max for that on mine is 6.9.

What is really throwing me is the low cup with the Hogden 231 data, maybe there is a leading issue with more than they are listing as safe.
Thanks for the help!!

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is scary, same edition and I guess different printings ??? Glad I followed the no less than two loading manual rule! But having said that, I was kinda surprised when I compared those numbers to the 38 special load for the same powder and bullet, seemed like a huge jump!

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is scary, same edition and I guess different printings ???

I don't have an answer to OP's question but I will throw this out there...

The Second Edition of Lee's "Modern Reloading" book came in at least two versions:
There's the "original" version, which has the font/text size/layout that was considered harder to read (at least by Lee, apparently ???).
Then they came out with a Second Edition that has a blurb on the front cover about an easy to read format. (I think the print was bigger and they had shaded rows to help keep the reader on track in looking at a particular line in the book.)

Both of these books say MODERN RELOADING / SECOND EDITION right on the front cover...the later one doesn't clearly say "revised second edition" or anything like that.

I *think* the earlier version of the Second Edition, at least in some calibers, gave reloading data for more powders than the updated Second Edition that was "easy to read," but that' s going by my memory of looking at the two books side by side, years ago.

Latest posts

Top Bottom