Waders-breathable vs. neo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lakenut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Time for new waders. I have always used neo but get tired of them not lasting more than a couple of seasons. My last pair of Cabelas ripped across the boot... replaced them with a set of Academy brand. Boy was that a mistake. They didn’t make it 2 months abs they started leaking up and down both leg seams. I have a back up pair that will get the job done till replacements get here.

Heard a lot of good stuff about the breathable waders. My big question is warmth. I would 100% rather be too warm than not warm enough. Most hunting is done standing in water that is knee to waist deep. With neo on the coldest days I generally wear a pair of thermal’s under a pair of jeans and stay toasty. Neo are great at repelling wind too. To those of you with breathable waders what are your thoughts for my hunting conditions? Also, would I expect to get better life out of the breathable?

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Breathable stocking foot all the way. I have two pair, one are the Orvis Guide series, the other are are Patagonias. The Patagonias are my favorite, the Orvis are my backup. However, let me qualify- I use mine exclusively for trout fishing which is going to be easier on them than duck hunting. They are both about ten years old and at the time I got the absolute top of the line in both. I make sure to get at least one size too large so I can bulk up underneath them in layers in the winter for warmth. I'm NOT a fan of the Cabelas/Bass Pro knock-off house brands. Their don't last and their warranty sucks. YMMV.....

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure your exact situation but I would get a pair of both.

I have one of each. Breathable for early season/warm days and neoprene for late season/cold days.

Not only are you not sweating/freezing your butt off BUT if one becomes unrepairable mid year you’ll have a decent back up sitting right there.

Oh yea and I too found out just how bad academy waders SUCK as well!

Lakenut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, went with a neo pair from Rogers. Hope they last. They do come with a 1 year warranty which is better than Cabelas.

So far I am impressed with Rogers. Ordered the waders last night. Free shipping... tracking says they will be here Monday.

corbinlee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was in your shoes at beginning of the season. i went with the breathables that have the zip out liner. Mine are the Frog Togg brand but are just like the Rogers brand (not sure who actually makes them). I have been extremely pleased so far. By far the most comfortable pair of waders i have owned. Feels like i am wearing a pair of bib overalls. The liner is plenty warm and with out it is really light weight.

Latest posts

Top Bottom