1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Wait a minute...I don’t need a license on my own land???

Discussion in 'Hunting & Fishing' started by Grendelshooter, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Grendelshooter

Grendelshooter Sharpshooter

I read something a few days ago that made it sound like I don’t need a hunting/fishing license if I’m doing it on my own land.

Is that true? Can I hunt/fish on my own land without a license or tags?

2. retrieverman

retrieverman Sharpshooter

Seriously?!?:scratch:

If that’s the case, the State owes me several thousand dollars for past licenses I didn’t need.:screwy::rollingla

3. Jared

Jared Sharpshooter

Resident landowners are exempt from a hunting/fishing license when doing so on their own property. There are a few other exemptions as well for landowners and tenants found on pg 9 of the regs. However, “tags” such as licenses for deer, turkey, elk, etc. are still required.

4. Uncle TK

Uncle TK Sharpshooter

License Exemptions
    [​IMG] Oklahoma Hunting
    Residents
    Under 16 Years of Age
    Residents under 16 years of age are exempt from the purchase of the hunting license, federal duck stamp, Oklahoma waterfowl license, Wildlife Conservation Passport, land access permit and HIP requirements.

Under 18 Years of Age
    Any person under 18 years of age in the physical custody of a child-care facility is exempt from the purchase of a hunting license.

Also, any person under 18 years of age is exempt from the Wildlife Conservation Passport and land access permit.

64 Years Old or Older
    Residents 64 years old or older are exempt from the purchase of a land access permit and HIP requirements (including those who will turn 64 during the calendar year in which they intend to hunt migratory birds). Residents 65 years old or older are exempt from the purchase of the Oklahoma waterfowl license.

Lifetime Licenses
    (Hunting, Combination, Senior Citizen & Disabled Veteran)

All resident holders of a lifetime hunting, lifetime combination, senior citizen hunting , senior citizen combination or lifetime disabled veteran combination hunting/fishing license are exempt from the purchase of the annual hunting license; deer, elk, antelope and turkey licenses; Oklahoma waterfowl license, trapping license and the fur license.

Holders of these lifetime licenses are not exempt from the purchase of the federal duck stamp, bear licenses, land access permit, HIP requirements or federal sandhill crane permit, unless exempt by age as listed above.

Landowners or Tenants
    Resident landowners or tenants who hunt only on land owned or agriculturally leased by them (not including hunting leases) are exempt from the hunting license. Resident landowners who hunt waterfowl and other migratory game birds only on their own property are exempt from the Oklahoma waterfowl license and HIP requirements.

Only resident landowners or tenants or such individuals’ children who trap on land owned or agriculturally leased by such owners or agricultural lessees (not including hunting leases) are exempt from purchasing a trapping license.

Persons residing in another state who own land in Oklahoma but do not live on that land are considered nonresidents and are not exempt.

Landowners or Agricultural Lessees
    Landowners or agricultural lessees who kill bobcats, raccoons, gray/red foxes or river otters actually found destroying livestock or poultry are exempt from the purchase of the fur license.

No landowner or agricultural lessee who takes these species under the depredation exemption may remove any part of the fur or unskinned carcass from the premises where taken.

Landowners or agricultural lessees taking furbearers in open season with intent to sell must possess a fur license. This license is not required for those who run or chase furbearers with dogs but do not take.

Disability
    Residents having a proven permanent disability which renders them non-ambulatory and confines them to a wheelchair, as certified by a medical doctor, are exempt from the hunting license.

Proof of Exemption
    Proof of exemption from a license or permit must be carried while in the field.

Veterans Affairs Disability Exemptions
    Resident disabled veterans with 60 percent or more disability. Call State Department of Veterans Affairs, (888) 655-2838 to acquire proof of exemption.

5. retrieverman

retrieverman Sharpshooter

“Persons residing in another state who own land in Oklahoma but do not live on that land are considered nonresidents and are not exempt.“

This is bullsh*t since I pay taxes just like residents.:censored:

Of course, the only thing I hunt is deer and not exempt for residents either...:anyone:

dennishoddy likes this.
  6. SWRhodd

SWRhodd Sharpshooter

Does anyone read the regulations?

7. Grendelshooter

It’s just very different than where I came from.
    Back there I had to get a hunting license, and then a tag for every animal I intended to take that season, on any land including that which I own.

Here it looks like y’all don’t do tags? You just get a license and go shoot?
    I almost feel like taking hunters safety all over again lol

Edit: I see where it says that all deer must be marked with a ‘tag’ that has your license info on it-but it said prior that you don’t need one if shot on your own property?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    retrieverman likes this.
  8. DRC458

DRC458 Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    LOTS of tags required, depending on the species! Seriously, you need to read the regulations closely to stay out of trouble!

9. Grendelshooter

Im trying man lol.
    In the regs it looks like a tag is just something you write you license info on and attach to the taken animal.

“A field tag can be any item, so long as the tag contains the required information. The information must remain attached to the carcass until it is checked.”

Back home I had to pay $50 for a hunting license and an additional $20 for each tag.

Regardless it also says earlier in the regs that I don’t need one to shoot a deer on my land.
    I’ve sent a message to the ODWC, we shall see what they say I suppose.

10. DRC458

DRC458 Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    That "field tag" is just a temporary tag which must be attached to the animal before it is moved. There are numerous tags which must be purchased prior to hunting! It's all in the regs.