Waiting for The Blizzard

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went out Friday to get gas, just filled up a couple of 5g cans in case we need to run the generator... just taking my gloves off and standing in the wind long enough to get the gas can nozzles off (damn you Fed gov't for screwing up freaking GAS CANS!) and pushing the buttons on the pump to get the gas flowing, I thought I was gonna get frostbite. WTH man.

It's cold. I mean it's freaking COLD.

I thought those we cans were in tests and I was failed. I finally got mad and used a hand siphon pump to get gas out the the stupid thing.

Steve's Wholesale Tools has a 'kit' where you can 'convert' a new style plastic can to the old style.

As Artie Shaw used to say...

View attachment 193406

Atwoods has them, too. Right next to the gas cans.

Pretty simple fix, really. Just be sure to drill the hole for the vent high enough on the "can" to be safe.

EZ-Pour Hi Flo Replacement Spout

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pretty simple fix, really. Just be sure to drill the hole for the vent high enough on the "can" to be safe.

EZ-Pour Hi Flo Replacement Spout

That looks like the kit I buy. The only part I use is the vent; I prefer the rigid spouts that come with the new cans. A pair of side cutters to the safety latch on the nozzle and the vent from the kit, and they're great for filling up tractors. A bunch of the new cans still have the flats where the vent is supposed to go.

You can actually do the same thing with a 7/16" drill bit, a length of baling wire, and the valve stem for a car wheel (sans Schrader valve). The only downside is that you have to replace the valve stem periodically, because the gas vapors degrade the rubber in the valve stem over time.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes it is much more forgiving than plastic and copper which is what we have.
Might be a good time to make the switch to Pex tubing. The great thing about Pex is its elasticity--it will swell when frozen, but is elastic enough not to swell to a breaking point. When it thaws, it is supposed to return to its original diameter. Copper and Quest tubing can't do that. Good luck!

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
7:45 AM: Where the Blizzard? Well, I'm waiting...I only have enough snow to almost cover the grass, and it 's not snowing outside now...wait...that's a dumb thing to say. Whattya think? It's snowing inside or somethin'? No; it's just that I expected to wake up to a Winter Wonderland and instead, I wake up to a pathetic looking effort on the part of Mother Nature. Maybe I should rephrase that: A pathetic forecast on the part of our local Weather Persona.

Or could I be mis-led? Is it still coming down the pike? Are we gonna get hammered or are we gonna once again; "dodge the bullet"? Mike Morgan and David Payne sure hope we get blasted as that means they can stand and pontificate in front of the camera.
EatCrow.gif

Latest posts

Top Bottom