Wal Mart done it again

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2 Timothy 4:7-8

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wal Mart in Ardmore lost a sale today. I had to go find someone to help me at the gun counter. I was going to buy a savage 110 hunter in 308. Had a crossfire mounted and bore sighted already on it. I ask if I could look at it and he says "you can look at it but you cant buy it. We dont have anyone qualified to sell guns". So i thought ok well I can come back tomorrow or something. I asked if I could have the bolt to put in it and work the action and he says "well its somewhere in the back in a box it would take me forever to find it and we are short handed." Then goes on to tell me how that rifle is way over priced ($526) and that i should shop somewhere else. I am beyond perturbed at this point so I leave and am confident I will never gun shop at Wal Mart again.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is not all Walmart's fault. Well not at this time. Walmart like everyone else is having a very hard time getting employees because people would rather sit at home and get free money. They probably can not get anyone qualified to work the gun counter and the guy probably had no idea where the bolt was even kept.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
That gun was probably marked down to sell and the employee either wanted it himself or had a friend coming to get it. I'd have had him ring it up and get a manager depending on the price. I've had this happen several times with guns that were listed as in stock, but no one could find them.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is not all Walmart's fault. Well not at this time. Walmart like everyone else is having a very hard time getting employees because people would rather sit at home and get free money. They probably can not get anyone qualified to work the gun counter and the guy probably had no idea where the bolt was even kept.

I don’t care about that. Their predatory practices that buy from China and shut down mom and pop stores that can’t compete is my issue.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That gun was probably marked down to sell and the employee either wanted it himself or had a friend coming to get it. I'd have had him ring it up and get a manager depending on the price. I've had this happen several times with guns that were listed as in stock, but no one could find them.

Not sure if it's still true of wm, but used to, all managers used to be competent and able to perform every duty in the store, including gun counter. I've had a store manager sell me 10/22's while the outdoor person was on lunch before more than once.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I happened across a Nikon Buckmaster listed on one of those clearance websites marked down to $64 once, but when I got to the store and looked in the case where the scopes were, I wasn't seeing it. Several other scopes on the top two shelves with price tags on the shelf, but couldn't find a Nikon. Finally spotted it on the bottom shelf, kind of pushed back, no price tag. I found a guy and asked if he could help with a scope, he says, "which scope?" and I take him over and show him and ask how much. Without looking anything up or any hesitation, he says, "$64.88!". I say I'll take it, and he takes it out and rings it up. I thought on the way out, he had it stashed hoping no one would notice it, probably planning to buy it at the end of the shift. For whatever reason, ALL of the other stores showed it at the regular $120-ish price, just this store had marked it down to $64. Weird.

Also went to see about a Savage A17 that one of the clearance sites showed in stock, wasn't in the display case, and an employee told me ALL the guns they had were in the display case. A few days later, the same website showed it in stock at the same store, and marked even lower. So I called the store and asked if they had it, and the price, and they said they did. Went down and bought it. Pretty sure they had it the first time but the lady I asked didn't know anything about how sporting goods worked, and didn't want to check so just told me there weren't any guns in the back. It actually saved me some money though. LOL!

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I was truly interested in buying the item, I would have found the manager, explained the situation, and then made my decision. We tend to allow poor employees to hurt the reputation of a business instead of bring their performance to the management level. Now I know, there are poor managers also, but rather than hurting all employees, I lean toward to pointing out the individuals actions. Same situation as grouping all LEOs, teachers, preachers, politicians, etc. into the “bad” category.

There is plenty that I don’t like about Walmart, but I do like that they hire a lot of folks that would not be hired by other businesses.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I was visiting with a fellow here in Alabama at a fast food place a couple of days ago. Subject came up because this one place sucked at having the products needed and personnel to work.

He informed me that a family of 4 would get $800 a week in unemployment. I've not verified that, but if it is true, that would be over $41,000 a year for such a family.

Latest posts

Top Bottom