Walk Behind / Push String Trimmers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, for my property out here in Bristow I think I need to get a walk behind / push type of string trimmer. My handled weed eater is a good solid model but we have so much fence line that I'd like to keep manicured that it is a giant PITA to make much headway without taking all day long. What I'm finding is that there aren't many "mainstream" companies like Stihl, Husky, etc, that make these. Most seem to be off brand or companies you haven't heard of before. The ones that seem to get decent reviews are Generac and DR or at least they are names you see on other tools and small equipment.

What do you all use and what is your experience with them? I need to get something as an option to make my work faster and easier. Post up what you use or what you know about these and if you have any advice. Thanks for the help.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a DR for years. Most neglected piece of equipment I ever had. Even mistakenly filled it with diesel once...uh...I mean my wife did... Damn thing smoked and rattled like a diesel for a bit. I wasn't sure it was gonna quit. Guess there was enough gas to keep it running for a time. Ran just fine after I poured the diesel out of the tank and filled it with gas. Didn't even bother to clean the diesel outta the carb...figured there couldn't be that much in there anyway. Used it on property in the mountains of Colorado on very rough/rocky "yard". Never missed a beat. I'd highly recommend them. Mine had the Kawasaki engine...don't know if they still do.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you buy an off brand, look the motor over good. I bought one from Atwoods many years ago.
While it worked pretty good, I learned the motor was built funny and had a hole in the side of it or something.
My yard has a very sharp hill and if I pushed horizontally with the mower at a 45 angle one direction was fine.
when I turned and went back the other way, the hole allowed the crankcase oil to go into the cylinder and you had a smoke screen machine.
Also the plastic big wheels were crap and expensive. I found that golf cart wheels were the same,
so I would frequent the thrift stores and pickup an inexpensive golf cart 5-10 bucks and put the wheels from it on the mower
when they cracked.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have a DR
Haven't touched a weed eater in 3 years.
Always thought the DR would be handy, from the commercials. Though, things rarely work like they do in the commercials.

This thing is awesome

skyhawk1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought Craftsman walk behind trimmers for years, I trim about a mile of fence and it's not 1 line of fence, right now it has to be done weekly. They would last about 4-5 years and the last couple I bought I got the extended warranty which paid for itself . Don't think they make them anymore with the state "Craftsman" is in. Bought 1 Cub Cadet and hated it, it was so more offset than the Craftsman. Never have tried the DR but may when due for another one.
The walk behind are so much easier on my arms that the big ones you carry and the walk behind uses a bigger line, I use .155 which will cut heavy grass. Another brand that is supposed to be good is

SuperHandy String Trimmer Walk Behind 21"​

Latest posts

Top Bottom