Walked away from an Armslist deal yesterday.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
You know, I've always heard the horror stories about Armslist. I've never doubted there are some weirdos out there, but damn...

So I've dealt with innumerable tire kickers the last couple of weeks. Tons of stupid lowballs (will you take $250 for something listed at $425), etc. Lots of, "I definitely want it, I'll have the money Friday." Of course, when Friday rolls around, no msg.

So I got stood up the other day - this guy wanted my Glock 27, messaged me for several days, was terribly concerned I would sell it out from under him, he wanted me to drive to Bristow (75 minutes for me) to meet him, said he was coming from 2 hours away, etc. So finally Wed he agrees to come up to meet me north of Tulsa, and I drive 30 minutes to meet him - I sat and waited an hour, never heard from him again after he told me he was getting on the road. A-hole.

So, fast forward, another guy tells me Sat he wants it for sure, he will meet me around 1130-1200 at the QT north of Tulsa at Hwy 75 and Hwy 20. 12 oclock rolls around, nothing, finally about 1PM I message him and he says, nevermind, he found a better deal. Whatever, so I write him off.

Then he messages me about 345 and say he is heading that way, can I meet him now. If The Wife and I weren't already getting ready to head to Tulsa, I would have told him no, but I thought, "Well, I've got nothing to lose, I'm heading that direction anyways."

So I get down there, he texts me and says, he is on the side of the lot, "near the red Challenger". So I get there, there are cars all around the red Challenger, none of them appear to have anyone in them. I park a couple of spots down and get out, text him I am there. He says, he is coming. I figure he probably went into the store to get a drink or something. I see a Hispanic guy get out of a Camry down a couple cars away and walk over to a car at one of the pumps, I figure, well, that wasn't him, so I don't think about it.

Then he texts me,

"He buying it now."
"That's my brother."
"He's buying it sir."

Same Hispanic guy walks over to me and I shake his hand, he mumbles some name I can't hear and I say, what is the deal, where is your brother? He asks what? I say, you're the other guy's brother? He says, no, he is his cousin. I say, well, he said you were his brother? He says, I don't know why he would say that, I'm his cousin.

Of course, warning lights are all going off. Before, when we were making plans, I told the first guy I needed to see a driver's license. I told him I don't write anything down, I don't keep any records, I just want to see an OK driver's license to know you are an OK resident. He said no problem

So I tell the new guy, brother/cousin, whatever, "Do you have a driver's license?" He pulls out a state ID card. I asked him if he had a driver's license, he said no, so I say, "Are you a felon?" He says no - of course. At this point, I'm thinking, you know, he could have lost his license for any number of misdemeanors, but he could also have lost it for felonies, too.

So I just tell him, you know what, I don't think this is a good idea, I'm going to pass. No offense, man, but I just don't think I want to do this. So I load up and head out, then I get a text from the original guy, "We had cash we drove 30 minutes to get here."

Sorry, bud. Just not something I want anything to do with.

I sold it a little while later to a guy who drove to where I was, showed me his license, was polite and handed me cash money.

Wow. Some weird characters out there.

Be safe, people.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's the bottom line. After getting stiffed the other day and having all the looky-loos and tire kickers, I decided some time ago I wasn't going out of my way for a deal. I didn't NEED to sell anything, was just offloading some stuff I don't actually use to put into my new rifle build. Like I said, I wouldn't have given him the time of day if I weren't already heading right past there, but I thought, what the hell.

Anyways, sharing experiences is always good to let fellow responsible gun owners know there are others out there. I'm not into keeping records or any of that shite, and I don't think these two yahoos were BATFE agents or anything (one dude WAS trying to get me to ship it to him), but you know, if it feels wrong, it's best to just walk away.

That's my philosophy, anyways.

Sold my last 2 today and have fully funded my rifle project along with probably all reloading gear, at least once I sell off the extra chassis, whenever I figure out which one I want to use.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If they want the gun bad enough they can meet me at my place or on the corner near my place.
I have met when we both wanted a trade but I have driven to Tulsa from Yukon to get guns 2 times.
Bargains that you can't pass up and met on their terms.

You are a little too nice tRidiot.
But you did well not selling to the cousin/brother

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hate the tire kickers and no shows too. I have one guy wanting both 22s I have up but he keeps putting it off. I think he is trying to scrap up the money. Couple more say they want one of them but never show. Of course it is not just Armslist. Had one guy here say he wanted some bullets I was selling then never heard from him again.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I had one guy show up for a FTF, claiming to be a doctor, but he had tats all over, a goatee, and was wearing a do-rag and mirrored sunglasses. Gave me bad vibes, so I bailed.

I think I've met the same guy. Helluva nice guy right? :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom