walkie talkie / GPS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wife and I are getting ready for hunting in an area with pretty much 0 cell service. We both tend to hunt a good ways from our truck and in good or bad weather. I can remember the last time i was walking out at 4 am during a thunderstorm. It was disorientating and I lost my way. That area was not hard to get out of, but I do not wish to put my wife or myself into that situation in a new area that is much more remote. We just moved to McCourtain co and so do not know the area very well thus GPS is a must. We also are looking for a handheld device that can call or text.

Anyone use a product they would recommend? I've looked into garmin inreach that has monthly service plans.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never leave your compass at home.
Technology is a great tool, but when in the mountains, the satellite system can be blocked by the topography.
A friend and ex coworker spent some exciting time in Montana on a bear hunt with a bow when his gps failed because all satellites were blocked by the canyon he was in.
He became lost and spent a night huddled under a log with an arrow in one hand and a knife in the other at near freezing temps.
Next morning, walked up to a ridge, got some directions and found his gps lied to him.

Latest posts

Top Bottom