Walmart Receipt Checker Has a Voice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"Shopkeeper’s Privilege Explained

While the Shopkeeper’s Privilege gives the store the right to detain suspected shoplifters, it can’t be used with impunity. If the store employee doesn’t have any reason to believe you were shoplifting, it is illegal to restrain you.

The Shopkeeper’s privilege can only be used by a store employee, and it must be done on store grounds. Additionally, you can only be held using the Shopkeeper’s Privilege for a reasonable amount of time. This generally means until the police arrive."

Do I Have To Show My Receipt At Wal-Mart? - Legal Definitions
:drunk2:
___

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't mind them checking my receipt. It only takes a second and then I'm off on my merry way.
I know. I do it all the time. They aren’t implying I’m a thief. They are just making sure I paid for it. I actually did the self checkout about two months ago and forgot to scan two items. They were covered up and I didn’t see them. Nobody checked my receipt. If I wasn’t a Christian I would have just took them and not paid. But I went back in and told them what happened and then paid for them.

rswink

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nothing personal against them. I gave my money, the items are now mine, I walk out with them. If they want to detain me against my will then I usually just call the police for them and have placed charges before at Best Buy. Usually they let you walk past when you decline, but every so often you get that rent-a-cop that feels like he has to show he is a "man" and the he has "authority". I go once every few weeks but I make it a point to know their names and call them by such, that makes a difference. Plus, I don't work for Wal-Mart so I don't check out my own items.

The last "free" item I got was a mop at Home Depot, called the store to ask how to pay them for it and the manager just thanked me for my honesty and said to keep it as the cashier should have caught it.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Amazing to me that they will instruct an employee to stand at the door checking receipts as people leave the check out, but instruct the same employees to just watch someone bypass the check out entirely while pushing out a cart with a big screen TV in it. I watched a young man filling a back pack up once with all kinds of goods. Then he put the bag on and a cover over the top. I pointed the "hunch back" out to an employee and she said they can't do anything about it. Didn't even ask him for a receipt.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
all sorts of scenarios but why fight them for trying to slow it down. seen a lot of stores in certain areas of tulsa close completely because of being robbed blind. tired of prices going up myself.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I always look at it this way. If its the garbageman, the greeter at Walmart, or the guy in the window at a hamburger stand, at least they are working. They aren't sitting at home living off the system or off their parents. I do my best to treat people with respect unless they give me a reason not to.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just a quick question for those that don't like the situation of store employees asking to see a receipt because it appears to indicate that they might think one is a thief...

...is that about the same as filling out a 4473 because the FBI might think one is a felon or mentally disturbed?

As for store employees checking receipts, other than Sam's or Costco, I haven't had an employee ask for a receipt in a long, long time, and we regularly go to Walmart.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As for store employees checking receipts, other than Sam's or Costco, I haven't had an employee ask for a receipt in a long, long time, and we regularly go to Walmart.
Ya know... I'm not sure I've ever been receipt checked at a Walmart. It was standard procedure back when we shopped at Sam's, though (late '80s-'90s?).
:anyone:
___

BillPenn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not to try to hijack this topic, but... I honestly don't mind the door greeters. It's the self check out, self bagging that I have a hard time with. I absolutely refuse. It's not that I am above doing menial work. I just think if your going to own a business then you need to hire people to run it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom